clustering Linux boxes

Post by Douglas Wat » Fri, 04 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I am relatively new to the Unix world. I installed a copy of Linux (RedHat
Dist.) and since then have tweaked around with the OS a little. Not a guru
yet, but seeing as I will be going to Uni. in October this year in
Edinburgh, Scotland to study a Bsc Hons. in Computer Science, I have found
that most Higher Education are using Unix, thus this has led me to become
more interested at the thought of spending 4 years developing on the Linux
& Java platforms.

I am interested in learning about clustering Linux boxes. Microsoft's
wolfpack gave me the idea to develop clustering software when I got to Uni.
but I have already found, to my interest that this has already been
implemented within Linux. What I want to know is exactly what software is
required, what stage the clustering projects are at and if any development
is still required for Linux clustering, as I see clustering as the future
way that businesses will be going.

and also recommend to me any other suitable newsgroup.

D Watt.

clustering Linux boxes

Post by James Youngma » Sat, 05 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> I am interested in learning about clustering Linux boxes. Microsoft's
> wolfpack gave me the idea to develop clustering software when I got to Uni.
> but I have already found, to my interest that this has already been
> implemented within Linux. What I want to know is exactly what software is
> required, what stage the clustering projects are at and if any development
> is still required for Linux clustering, as I see clustering as the future
> way that businesses will be going.

Search the Web for Donald Becker's "Beowulf".

clustering Linux boxes

Post by perry Coupri » Wed, 09 Jul 1997 04:00:00

<HTML>

<P>> I am interested in learning about clustering Linux boxes. Microsoft's
<BR>> wolfpack gave me the idea to develop clustering software when I got
to Uni.
<BR>> but I have already found, to my interest that this has already been
<BR>> implemented within Linux. What I want to know is exactly what software
is
<BR>> required, what stage the clustering projects are at and if any development
<BR>> is still required for Linux clustering, as I see clustering as the
future
<BR>> way that businesses will be going.

<P>Search the Web for Donald Becker's "Beowulf".</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;<A HREF="http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux-web/beowulf/beowulf.html">http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux-web/beowulf/beowulf.html</A>
<PRE>--&nbsp;
if (os != (Linux||Redhat||Slackware)) {
&nbsp; system(format c: /u);
&nbsp; remove(int_handler 21h);

Quote:} else {

&nbsp; cout &lt;&lt; "Thank you for using Linux " &lt;&lt; endl;
Quote:}</PRE>

</HTML>

[...]

1. Clustering Linux boxes

What do you know about clustering Linux boxes?  Do they make a specific
software for doing that?  How do you get by having the pc not complain
about keyboards and stuff that is not attached?  Any pointers would be
cool.  I would like to start playing with that:)
Do you think that Linux would still run better on the Alpha chip vs. the
pentium II chip?  The Alpha has a longer pipe line right??  Would that
effect certain application performance?
Any links or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

        -Victor Kuhns

2. Postscript -> GIF/JPEG converter?

3. Cluster of linux boxes: Suggestions

4. Some info regarding psradm ....

5. Can Ping Windows Box, But Windows Box Can't Ping Linux Box

6. RPM database corrupted

7. How to connect a linux box with a win95 box or OS/2 box?

8. Network statistic Network statistic

9. Cannot telnet into linux box (From WFWG to Linux Box)

10. Linux box + Speedtouch Pro router: how to do firewall on Linux box

11. Clustering Unixes boxes - how?

12. How many sun boxes in a BEA WLS cluster?

13. Clustering on Sun boxes...