handling mail under linux

Post by Alexander H. Hackenbe » Wed, 05 Jul 1995 04:00:00

is there any product like eudora (windows) 4 linux available?
when i'm using pine i can send mail over a slip connection to
the smtp-server of my internet provider but i cannot request
it with pine. so is there a product available or do i have to
work with smail/sendmail?

TIA

a.h.h.

handling mail under linux

Post by To » Thu, 06 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: is there any product like eudora (windows) 4 linux available?
: when i'm using pine i can send mail over a slip connection to
: the smtp-server of my internet provider but i cannot request
: it with pine. so is there a product available or do i have to
: work with smail/sendmail?

IMHO, Pine and elm are better than Eudora.

When you connect your linux box via slip, the box then becomes a node on
the network.  Eudora did two things - read/send mail and fetch mail -
where elm and pine do only one - read and send mail.

Fortunately, Linux comes with a small program called popclient, which
fetches your mail using either POP2 or POP3 protocol (ask your ISP about
POP).  Unfortunately, popclient is not bug-free, so several parameters
which should be defaults must be set or you WILL lose mail.  My popclient
command line looks something like this:

popclient -3v -u kd6ozk -p *** -f /usr/spool/mail/kd6ozk
-o /usr/spool/mail/root mail.cts.com

where -3 says use POP3 protocol,
       v is verbose results,
      -u kd6ozk is my POP username (not SLIP, more likely a shell ID)
      -p *** is my POP password (deleted here, normally readable)
      -f is the remote mail file to read from
      -o is the local mail file to write to
      mail.cts.com is my POP server

Use man popclient for more information.

You can create a cron file for popclient so that it repeatedly checks for
mail, downloading as necessary.  Use man crontab for more information.

handling mail under linux

Post by Camer » Fri, 07 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: is there any product like eudora (windows) 4 linux available?
: when i'm using pine i can send mail over a slip connection to
: the smtp-server of my internet provider but i cannot request
: it with pine. so is there a product available or do i have to
: work with smail/sendmail?

: TIA

: a.h.h.

It's called popclient, and it's available with the lastest versions
of slackware.  You can find it on sunsite.unc.edu under the slackware
directory

Erik Monson

handling mail under linux

Post by Lars Magnuss » Sat, 08 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: is there any product like eudora (windows) 4 linux available?
: when i'm using pine i can send mail over a slip connection to
: the smtp-server of my internet provider but i cannot request
: it with pine. so is there a product available or do i have to
: work with smail/sendmail?

Smtp requires a "permanent" connection to receive, since the most
Smtp-hosts only store forwarding mail for some hours to 2-3 days
typically. If I where you I'll would talk to the provider about
taking it in with uucp instead (and over normal modem-connection
not over slip/ppp) and have the crate dial out 4-5 times a day
to collect. Then use Xmh, xmailtool or Andrews "messages" mailers
to read/write it with MIME and other stuff locally.

If not otherwise You'll save money not beeing on line reading mail
(and you'v  might get a own subdomain as a fringee ;-). If not a
UNIX popreader is the only way (PC-pine shall have a popmode to
retrieve mail - doesnt the Linux-version have it?). This is
probably the reason for that You'll can't retrieve it with Pine
and SMTP, your mail is not queued, it's stored in a incoming
mailbox on the host.

Lars M

handling mail under linux

Post by Stephen Davie » Mon, 10 Jul 1995 04:00:00

IMHO, IMAP is _much_ better than POP 2 or 3.

The IMAP server code for Linux is on sunsite and there are plenty of
clients out there.

Stephen.

>: is there any product like eudora (windows) 4 linux available?
>: when i'm using pine i can send mail over a slip connection to
>: the smtp-server of my internet provider but i cannot request
>: it with pine. so is there a product available or do i have to
>: work with smail/sendmail?

>IMHO, Pine and elm are better than Eudora.

>When you connect your linux box via slip, the box then becomes a node on
>the network.  Eudora did two things - read/send mail and fetch mail -
>where elm and pine do only one - read and send mail.

>Fortunately, Linux comes with a small program called popclient, which
>fetches your mail using either POP2 or POP3 protocol (ask your ISP about
>POP).  Unfortunately, popclient is not bug-free, so several parameters
>which should be defaults must be set or you WILL lose mail.  My popclient
>command line looks something like this:

>popclient -3v -u kd6ozk -p *** -f /usr/spool/mail/kd6ozk
>-o /usr/spool/mail/root mail.cts.com

>where -3 says use POP3 protocol,
>       v is verbose results,
>      -u kd6ozk is my POP username (not SLIP, more likely a shell ID)
>      -p *** is my POP password (deleted here, normally readable)
>      -f is the remote mail file to read from
>      -o is the local mail file to write to
>      mail.cts.com is my POP server

>Use man popclient for more information.

>You can create a cron file for popclient so that it repeatedly checks for
>mail, downloading as necessary.  Use man crontab for more information.

Adelaide, South Australia.                           Voice: 61-8-2728863
Computing & Network solutions.                       Fax  : 61-8-2741015

handling mail under linux

Post by To » Wed, 12 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: IMHO, IMAP is _much_ better than POP 2 or 3.

Sure is, but not every ISP supports IMAP - two I use don't - but I think
they all support at least POP2.

1. Q: Handling large mail loads....how to distribute mail handling??

I've been dealing with relatively reasonable mail loads on an AIX 4.3.2
7025-f50 (3 155MHz processors) machine running sendmail V8.8....2800
users
and a 2GB /var/spool/mail.  But the days of clean and simple ASCII text
mail are passing and the direct and indirect consequences can be
substantial.
1) Someone puts a "pretty" graphic in an annoucement email and sends
that 250K file to 1000 users...now I have a 250MB lump in the mail
system.  And that's "legitimate"...
2) A few days ago, I had a clueless user attach a 4MB scanned image (the
text amounted to about 12K....the scanned image including dust specks
was 4MB) file to an email and send it to 1000 users on the mail
machine.  My mailbox filesystem went from 2GB to 6GB...that'sn
unjustifiable....but it happened.  Well, I've been pleasantly surprised
with how nicely the work got distributed over time instead of blocking
everything solid.
3) The worst load on the mail server lately was a two day degradation of
our T1 line into random noise.  By the time things were finally set to
rights the queued mail in /var/spool/mqueue was substantial and the F50
(usually at 20-30%) was running flat out for 30 minutes to clear it out.

All this is clearly a portent: "richer" mail (video clips, anyone?) and
heavier loads to come....point-and-click mail makes users dangerous!
So......the question: How does one handle really *substantial* loads.
Yes, a hotter machine and hotter NIC card...but that only goes so far.
How do you distribute mail load over more than one machine?  How do you
deal with mail service distributed over multiple machines, file systems
and NICs?

---

// as for the rest: wife,house,children, cars, music, garden....

2. Cross-compile

3. How do I delete mail from mail file /var/mail/su after reading mails

4. Which SCSI hostadapter with linuxppc?

5. Netscape mail and linux mail or mailx on linux

6. little TCP checksum bug?

7. does apache handle also ftp and mail?

8. Need help with Chat

9. Any mail client handling multiple accounts?

10. handle mail.XXX.com

11. How to handle junk mails and email threat?

12. mail handling

13. Mail Handling