Unable to telnet to linux box.

Post by Ian Stirlin » Wed, 12 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I am perfectly able to connect to this site, I see nothing wrong, everyone
is able to connect to port 25, but some people just cannot get a telnet
connect to it. Not even see the Login: prompt.

The machine in question is elara.moonsite.com, anyone any ideas.
For those afflictied, rlogin has similar problems.

--
Ian Stirling.                     Currently designing a new PDA, see homepage.
Homepage:                         http://www.mauve.demon.co.uk/

Post by B.A.McCau.. » Sat, 15 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>I am perfectly able to connect to this site, I see nothing wrong, everyone
>is able to connect to port 25, but some people just cannot get a telnet
>connect to it. Not even see the Login: prompt.

What never?   Or just not for 30 or 60 seconds?  Check your reverse
DNS configuration - chances are the reverse IP lookup on the clients
is failing.

Post by Davi » Mon, 03 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>>I am perfectly able to connect to this site, I see nothing wrong, everyone
>>is able to connect to port 25, but some people just cannot get a telnet
>>connect to it. Not even see the Login: prompt.

I tried it from here - telnet login responded in about 5 seconds.
Perhaps the problem lies with the clients???

1. Unable to telnet a Linux Box from a Windows 2000 Server

Hi guys!

I just setup a new Red HAt Linux 7.1 box at home and I created a small
network with a crossover cable to my Windows 2000 box. I have assigned
a private address to my Linux box, 172.25.25.25 and 172.25.25.26  for
my Win box.

I was able to ping both these machines, I was able to telnet my Win
machine but for whatever reason I cannot telnet the linux machine on
any port. I can telent the Linux machine from the linux terminal so
the telnet process is actually working. I know telnet is listening,
httpd is listening and some other port like 22 is open. I even scanned
the linux box and I saw the ports open.
I've tried PUTTY as well, didn't work. When using telnet from Windows,
the message returned was: Connecting to 172.25.25.25......  Could not
open a connection to host on port 23.. Connect failed.

The Windows box is connected to the inernet and has 2 NICs. No routing
service is working.
In short, the only communication between the two boxes is ping at this
moment.

Thanks for reading,
hopefully you can give me a hint..

Tavi

2. Mount NT on SPARC/Solaris 2.6

3. Unable to telnet into Linux box

4. This is kinda scary, in a sick humor way.. :-()

5. Unable to telnet into linux box

6. Help w/ Understanding Redirection

7. Unable to Telnet or Ssh from Windows XP into a Linux box.

8. NIS aware passwd...

9. Unable to telnet/ping to/from Linux box

10. Unable to Telnet into new RH5.1 Linux box

11. Cannot telnet into linux box (From WFWG to Linux Box)

12. HELP - Unable to telnet into box via internet

13. secure telnet from dos box to linux box