Time Server Question

Post by bats have » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

hey all
I am running RH 6.2 with Samba and have it running as a time server = yes.
Then in my login script for windows I have it using the net time
\\servername /set /y command and it works fantastic.
Now my question is that I have 2 other linux servers running Mandrake 6.1
and am curious as how to make these get the same time.  They are running
samba as well but am not sure how to get them to get the same time from the
one server.

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated

Mike

Time Server Question

Post by Chuck Swige » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Now my question is that I have 2 other linux servers running Mandrake 6.1
> and am curious as how to make these get the same time.  They are running
> samba as well but am not sure how to get them to get the same time from the
> one server.

Use ntpd.

-Chuck

       ------------------------+-------------------+--------------------
       I know that you are an optimist if you think I am a pessimist....

Time Server Question

Post by Rod Smi » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> hey all
> I am running RH 6.2 with Samba and have it running as a time server = yes.
> Then in my login script for windows I have it using the net time
> \\servername /set /y command and it works fantastic.
> Now my question is that I have 2 other linux servers running Mandrake 6.1
> and am curious as how to make these get the same time.  They are running
> samba as well but am not sure how to get them to get the same time from the
> one server.

AFAIK, Samba can't function as a time client, just as a time server.
Your best bet is to install xntpd or a similar time server on both
systems. (xntpd actually functions as both a client and a server.) You
can then point the clients to the time server. If you like, you can also
point your time server box to an external time server so that its clock
is set to an accurate external time, rather than drift slowly as PC
clocks are wont to do.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux networking & multi-OS configuration

Time Server Question

Post by Robie Bas » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000 10:26:02 -0700, bats haven said:

Quote:>hey all
>I am running RH 6.2 with Samba and have it running as a time server = yes.
>Then in my login script for windows I have it using the net time
>\\servername /set /y command and it works fantastic.
>Now my question is that I have 2 other linux servers running Mandrake 6.1
>and am curious as how to make these get the same time.  They are running
>samba as well but am not sure how to get them to get the same time from the
>one server.

Search for and install xntpd - this is the time management daemon of
choice amongst UNIXes.

Robie.
--

Time Server Question

Post by lindoze 200 » Thu, 13 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> hey all
> I am running RH 6.2 with Samba and have it running as a time server = yes.
> Then in my login script for windows I have it using the net time
> \\servername /set /y command and it works fantastic.
> Now my question is that I have 2 other linux servers running Mandrake 6.1
> and am curious as how to make these get the same time.  They are running
> samba as well but am not sure how to get them to get the same time from the
> one server.

> Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated

> Mike

If you simply want your linux to have the accurate time then
check to see if you have ntpdate
if so then:

ntpdate time-nw.nist.gov
hwclock --systohc

where time-nw.nist.gov is a time server by the us atomic clock, talk
about accurate.
the second line sets your system bios.

if you did not install ntpdate
then  go to metalab.unc.edu
and look for :
ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/suse/6.4/suse/n1/

--
download and install :
xntp.rpm

now as for those addresses, go to
www.nist.gov
www.time.gov

  My Experiment: http://www.fusionplant.com/

1. Time Server Questions

Hey all. I've got a couple of questions in regards to synching up
with a time server (i.e. Atomic Clock). I have an AIX box behind
an firewall and I'd like to synch it up to the atomic clock
nightly just by adding an ntpdate command into the root crontab
file. I'd also like to be able to run a time server from that
AIX box and have other servers on the network sync up with him.
The servers on the network will not only be AIX but Novell and NT
as well. My questions are:

1. Does anyone know what ports to open on the firewall besides
port 123 for the ntpdate command to work?

2. What daemon should I run on the AIX box so that other non-AIX
servers can synch up to it? xntpd?

Any guidance or feedback or the like would be GREATLY
appreciated. Thanks for your time.

-Anthony Fiore

2. To all of you Gurus!!

3. set clk via time server question

4. Maxtor's Ultra ATA100

5. Player for .wav and AIFF for Sparcstation/Solaris?

6. How to synchronize server's time with time server.

7. EIDE Hard Drive Slow

8. convert UT time in local time / local time in UT time

9. time time time how can I tell the time

10. X Server Time is REAL time of day???

11. Setting Time using a time server

12. GMT-time & Samba an a time-server