how to set up linux so machine _by default_ access INTERnet thru socks

how to set up linux so machine _by default_ access INTERnet thru socks

Post by mdi.. » Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I have 3 systems on my lab network:

A: linux box with 2 interfaces, connected to
INTRAnet (8.37.198.22 mask 255.255.240.0) via
token ring on tr0, connected to lab network
(10.0.0.1 mask 255.255.255.0) via ethernet on eth0
B: windoze box, lab network (10.0.0.2 specified)
on eth adapter
C:?mac box, lab network (10.0.0.3 specified) on
eth adapter

The mac and the windoze can access the INTRAnet
and the INTERnet through ip forwarding and ip
masquerading on the linux, the default INTRAnet
gateway being 8.37.192.1, the DNS server at
8.37.0.55. In my environment a socks server is
used to connect the INTRAnet with the INTERnet; it
is at 8.37.3.60.

A socks client by Hummingbird (which allows all
appz to use the socks server for INTERnet
connections) is available for Windows 9x. It is
installed and works fine through the linux box.

The Mac is an older model running system 7.6.1. As
far as I know, no socks client is available for
it. Thus, appz which are not 'socks-aware' are not
able to make INTERnet connections.

How would I set up the linux box so that any
machine on the lab network (windows, mac, etc.)
would _by default_ access the INTERnet through the
socks server at 8.37.3.60 without having to have a
socks client installed?

If a solution allows the linux box itself (as a
client of the socks server) to access the
INTERnet, it would be great, but its not
necessary. The main thing is to allow the Mac to
have full INTERnet access through the socks
server.

TIA

Jennifer

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/