linux dialout woe

Post by jianzhong din » Wed, 12 Nov 1997 04:00:00

This is my last straw. Hopefully I can get something from  experts:

I have one Pentum 200MHZ box with Win95 preloaded, one HSP 33.6 Deluxe
modem(from PC tel Inc) to dial out. There is no problem for me to set up
PPP to dial out to my school under Win95. Then comes Linux. I installed
RedHat Linux 4.2, everything seems fine except my modem appears dead.
The Linux seems not able to detect my modem. (For example, I tried to
use minicom to dial out, there is just absolute no response from the
modem). Here is what I have done:

1)check my modem manual and the jumper on my modem,   make sure it is
not on PNP setup. (as you may notice, my modem is a dual functional
modem).

2).Use alternative boot program Loadlin instead of Lilo, try to keep my
setup in Win95 valid. no response from modem still.

3)Play with setserial and IRQ in Linux, nothing helped.

4)The most funny thing is: AfterI install my modem in Win95 at
com3(address 02e8), I check the serial port and interrupts from
/proc/ioports and /proc/interrupts. In /proc/ioports, it shows me two
serial ports, one is my mouse at(03f8, com0), the other one is at
02f8(com1), not 02e8(com3). in /proc/interrupts, it only list IRQ 4 for
mouse, nothing else.

so next time, I install the modem at com1(02f8), guess what happens?
Linux detects the serial port at com3(02e8).

That is about all. I basically try to read all the related HOWTOs and
ask help from our local linux group. Till today, I am still puzzled by
the mystery.

Any one can shed light on this?

Jianzhong

1. Linux dialout woe

[...]

mouse (03f8, com0), the other one is at 02f8(com1), not 02e8(com3). In
/proc/interrupts, it only list IRQ 4 for mouse as serial port, nothing
else.

so next time, I install the modem at com1(02f8), guess what happens?
Linux
detects the serial port at com0 and com3(02e8), not com0 and com1!!!!!

That is about all. I basically try to read all the related HOWTOs and
ask help
from our local linux group. Till today, I am still puzzled by the
mystery.

Any one can shed light on this?

Jianzhong

2. Is there a Cobol compiler for Linux?

3. Dialin/Dialout probs (autoanswer don't work after dialout)

4. 3 boxes, 4 nic's, 2 crossover cables

5. CD-RW mounting woes in Mandrake 7.0 woe oh woe oh woe!

6. SSL ... is it secure?

7. XF86 Config set-up woes & woes & woes

8. How do I write e-mails offline using Pine ?

9. Time controlled auto-dialout under Linux

10. unrequested dialouts with NT4.0->linux->inet

11. Linux & Cisco DialOut utility?

12. Something like DialOut/IP for Linux?

13. net-2 woes (was upgrade woes)