fetchmail/sendmail problem

Post by Darryl Ta » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I am trying to configure fetchmail to download my mail from my isp via
modem and put it into my mailbox.  As I understand it, after fetchmail
downloads the mail, it invokes sendmail to send it to my local mailbox.
I'm at the point where fetchmail can pull the mail, but sendmail is having
trouble doing its job.

I get the following error in my /var/log/syslog:

SYSERR(bin):  Cannot exec /bin/mail.local:  No such file or directory

Am I missing this file or is sendmail looking for the wrong file?  BTW,
while testing this out, fetchmail downloaded two messages, the system
error above was written twice to the syslog, and the mail appears to have
been lost.

Thanks for any help.

fetchmail/sendmail problem

Post by Cliff Rayma » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

not sure what version of linux you are using, but I have never heard of
/bin/mail.local.  My Redhat 5.2 version of Linux uses /usr/bin/procmail which
is pretty standard.  In the file /etc/sendmail.cf should be a line something
like:

Mprocmail,      P=/usr/bin/procmail, F=DFMSPhnu9, S=11/31, R=21/31,
T=DNS/RFC822
/X-Unix,  A=procmail -Y -m $h $f $u

this is the program and necessary parameters to drop mail for local users.  If
you have the /usr/bin/procmail program on your system, and a line like above
in your sendmail.cf then you have a sendmail configuration problem which is
causing the mail addressing to not be properly resolved.

> I am trying to configure fetchmail to download my mail from my isp via
> modem and put it into my mailbox.  As I understand it, after fetchmail
> downloads the mail, it invokes sendmail to send it to my local mailbox.
> I'm at the point where fetchmail can pull the mail, but sendmail is having
> trouble doing its job.

> I get the following error in my /var/log/syslog:

> SYSERR(bin):  Cannot exec /bin/mail.local:  No such file or directory

> Am I missing this file or is sendmail looking for the wrong file?  BTW,
> while testing this out, fetchmail downloaded two messages, the system
> error above was written twice to the syslog, and the mail appears to have
> been lost.

> Thanks for any help.

1. fetchmail/sendmail problem

HI

Im using Slackware and am able to connect to the intranet and use telnet
etc...
When using fetchmail it gives the error

fetchmail -k -u harish mail.server.name
Skipping message 1 not flushed
Skipping message 2 not flushed
.
.
.
.
.
Skipping message 25 not flushed
reading message 26 of 31(364 header bytes) fecthmail:SMTP

... Sender Domain must exist
fetchmail : SMTP error: 553<root>... Domain name required
fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from mail.server.name

also cannot send mail thru 'mail'or 'pine'.
The mail bounces back.
BUT can send/recieve mail thru netscape comminicator.

TIA

Harish

Please remove the SPAM-NO in the e-mail before sending it.

2. mounting msdos removable drives (syquest 44 MB harddisk) ?

3. problems with sendmail/fetchmail

4. Sun Security Bulletin #00138

5. sendmail + fetchmail problem

6. USERFS 0.6 released

7. mail server problem - sendmail or fetchmail?

8. Problems with MCC Linux

9. Problem:fetchmail+sendmail

10. sendmail/fetchmail problem

11. fetchmail or sendmail problems?

12. Fetchmail dns problem, or sendmail ?

13. fetchmail & sendmail deliver problems...