an idea for improving a vpn using ppp and ssh

an idea for improving a vpn using ppp and ssh

Post by Martyn Pe » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hello
A short time ago I was going to try and install a VPN for work, using
ssh and ppp on our Linux box. I started with the VPN-mini howto by
Arpad Magosanyi, and I found it well thought out, and well
constructed. However I did have a problem with one piece of it: the
pty-redir program. No offense, but it really struck me as a bit of a
kludge.

The actual project is delayed indefenetly, but in trying to figuring
out how to do a VPN, I had an idea of how to do it better. So I wanted
to run by people who ahead a bit more clue than I do. Since the
project is on hold I won't actually be able to experiment with this
any time soon.

Here's my idea:
Instead of pty-redir, put a dedicated getty program on to the slave
side of the pseudo-tty, setup up so that it calls ssh instead of
login. I know mgetty at least can do this. In this way, from the
master side of the pseudo-tty, it just looks like another modem, and
all you need is pppd and a simple chat script. I think one of the
advantages of this is that you can then use any of the ppp tools on
the VPN, like using diald so the VPN is only active when need.

I know I'm only giving a rather general description, but think it
should be enough to see if I've overlooked anything important. And if
anyone wants a more details, I'll be happy to write it out in more
detail.
Thanks
Martyn Peck

1. VPN using ppp+ssh question (ppp-2.3.5 does not support pty)

I have WinXX boxes at home behind my OpenBSD gateway to DSL.

I am trying to set up a "VPN" type connection from my work computer
(RH Linux) and from my laptop when I am on the road to my home
computer.

I was trying to use "VPN PPP−SSH Mini−HOWTO" by Scott
Bronson but on the OpenBSD side ppp (is version ppp−2.3.5 need
ppp−2.3.11) does not support "pty" option and pppd does not
support "notty" option.

Is there a way to get a newer version of ppp/pppd on OpenBSD 3.3?

Is there a better way to provide a sucure VPN using ssh?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

Bill

2. Wish-list for Linux JVM

3. VPN using ppp over ssh

4. Using Linux as a (robotic) controller?

5. VPN using PPP over SSH stops when adding a route

6. Installing Linux Mandrake 7!

7. Using masquerading to solve routing problems with PPP/SSH VPN.

8. LILO "LI"

9. help setting up ppp - ssh VPN

10. PPP & SSH & VPN

11. ppp-ssh vpn client(s) for windows?

12. VPN using ssh & pppd - getting Resource temporarily unavailable

13. ssh/ppp vpn without pty-redir?