Sendmail rejecting valid passwords - ERR being read already

Sendmail rejecting valid passwords - ERR being read already

Post by Steve Hedlu » Thu, 30 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I have 50 accounts on a system running Linux 2.0.30 - A few of the
users have this problem - the rest work.
They log on using a mail client and there password is rejected.  They
can telnet to the linux box - log on with the same user id and
password and run pine just fine.
The actual error message is :
There was a problem logging onto your mail server mail server.  Your
password was rejected. Account 'Roachw.com, server Roachw.com.
Protocol: POP3, Server response '-ERR being read already
/usr/spool/mail/jf, port 110, Secure (SSL) no, server error 0x800ccc90
error number 0x800cc92.
Any new users I create have the same problem.

Thanks

Sendmail rejecting valid passwords - ERR being read already

Post by Larry » Thu, 30 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I have 50 accounts on a system running Linux 2.0.30 - A few of the
>users have this problem - the rest work.
>They log on using a mail client and there password is rejected.  They
>can telnet to the linux box - log on with the same user id and
>password and run pine just fine.
>The actual error message is :
>There was a problem logging onto your mail server mail server.  Your
>password was rejected. Account 'Roachw.com, server Roachw.com.
>Protocol: POP3, Server response '-ERR being read already
>/usr/spool/mail/jf, port 110, Secure (SSL) no, server error 0x800ccc90
>error number 0x800cc92.
>Any new users I create have the same problem.

I forget the exact directory but it is something like /usr/tmp/pop.d. This
 directory needs read write access for all mail users.

1. POP3 client problem solved (-ERR being read already <path to user mailbox>)

The version of in.pop3d that is shipped with
Slackware 3.3 expects to have a work directory
/var/tmp/.pop. When that directory does not
exist, users will be told that their mailbox is
already being read when they try to access it
via the POP3 server. The directory permissions
should be thus:

drwxrwxrwt   2 root     root         1024 Jul 26 00:33 .pop/

Enjoy.

trane
--
//---------------------------------------------------------

//  Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

2. Talk Problem with sun's

3. pop3 problem -ERR being read already

4. XQuake for FreeBSD

5. POP3 server error: -ERR being read already /usr/spool/mail/<username>

6. Help! Help! After set the config of bootvar, and Mac can not run!

7. POP problem - ERR being read already /usr/spool/mail.....

8. Quiero un Linux

9. Weird POP3 problem!! -ERR being read already

10. POP3 server -ERR being read already /usr/spool/mail/....

11. pop3 -ERR being read already /usr/spool/mail/foo

12. Sendmail 8.9 Problem - "Already Being Read..."

13. Is REJECT a valid target with iptables