HELP - Unable to telnet into box via internet

HELP - Unable to telnet into box via internet

Post by Charles Stac » Fri, 31 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I just got my box talking to the internet and can access the other
services (http, ftp, etc).  But, when I attempt to telnet in, all I
get is the Redhat version info...no login or password prompts.

Obviously, I need to make an entry someplace...but where?  I am using
a seperate ISP (dynamic IP address) to gain access to my linux box
(which has a static IP and is on a different ISP).

Any help is appreciated.

TIA,

Charles

HELP - Unable to telnet into box via internet

Post by Charles Stac » Fri, 31 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Never mind.  Solved the problem.  Found that I had to make an entry in
/etc/hosts.allow

Charles

1. linux box as router between LAN and internet-via-ppp / help requested

Hi:

My Linux box is connected to the local network.  It has its own IP
address on that network.  My Linux box is also connected to the rest
of the internet via a PPP connection.  It has its own IP address for
that PPP connection too (dynamically assigned).

My Linux box has kernel support for forwarding/routing packets.
My Linux box has kernel support for having two IP addresses for just
this sort of occasion (CONFIG_DUMMY is set).

On the local network I tell a Win95 machine (it doesn't have to be
Win95, but in this case it is) that my Linux box is the gateway for
that Win95 machine.

There exists a route from my Linux box to the Win95 machine.

Let's call the eth0 IP address of my Linux box ETHIP.
Let's call the ppp0 IP address of my Linux box PPPIP.

Now let's test:

From my Linux box, I can ping the Win95 machine.
From my Linux box, I can ping my ppp peer (and the rest of the
  Internet).

From the Win95 machine, I can ping ETHIP.
From the Win95 machine, I can also ping PPPIP.

I cannot, however, ping even one machine beyond my Linux box from the
Win95 machine.  This is the crux of the problem, and I'm not quite
sure what to configure (or how to configure it) on my Linux box in
order to successfully route the packets from the Win95 machine to
my ppp peer.

I've looked briefly at gated, but I couldn't find source code nor
man pages nor sample config files at sunsite, so I didn't know if
that was the right package to use or not.  I'm also unfamiliar with
routed.  The NET-2-HOWTO didn't offer detailed help either.

Any and all help would be appreciated.  Please send ideas to my

posting.

Many thanks in advance,
  jim

2. Tall order.

3. Unable to download more then 6 gb file from internet via squid

4. Help! Linux Does Not See My Modem

5. Unable to Telnet or Ssh from Windows XP into a Linux box.

6. Yamaha PCI sound card and Redhat 5.2

7. Unable to telnet a Linux Box from a Windows 2000 Server

8. Best Language for UNIX?

9. Unable to telnet into Linux box

10. Unable to telnet to linux box.

11. Unable to telnet into linux box

12. Unable to telnet/ping to/from Linux box

13. Unable to Telnet into new RH5.1 Linux box