Ethernet interfaces not coming up after reboot

Post by David Parris » Wed, 11 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> I run a RedHat Linux machine with two 3c509 NICs, and everytime I reboot the
> machine I'll have to run the network management tool under X to manually
> activate the two cards. I've checked the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts files
> and they all contain the ONBOOT=yes directive. I don't get any other messages
> in the logfiles so I hope that somebody can tell me which scripts I can take
> a look at.

If all else fails, you can always do it in /etc/rc.d/rc.local:
ifconfig eth0 up
ifconfig eth1:0 up
blahblah

Zeta Internet       http://www.zeta.org.au/

Post by Wayne D. Hoxsie J » Thu, 12 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>I run a RedHat Linux machine with two 3c509 NICs, and everytime I reboot the
>machine I'll have to run the network management tool under X to manually
>activate the two cards. I've checked the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts files
>and they all contain the ONBOOT=yes directive. I don't get any other messages
>in the logfiles so I hope that somebody can tell me which scripts I can take
>a look at.

I don't know if this is the cause of your problem, but...

Those cards (some? all?) have a plug-n-play option that must be
disabled for them to work correctly in linux.  You must boot DOS and
use the config disk to disable this option.

--
Wayne D. Hoxsie Jr.  KG9ME

http://www.hoxnet.com