PPP doesn't die, it just doesn't work anymore

PPP doesn't die, it just doesn't work anymore

Post by Brian Fahrlande » Thu, 28 May 1998 04:00:00

I have a communications server that's been giving us fits for a few
months now.  I can't seem to locate the problem.  I've been searching
DejaNews for analogous problem, but it looks like it's either something
I'm doing wrong, or I can't find it from the keywords I'm using.

    The machine will call the ISP on startup and work just fine, using a
static IP, BTW.  After a few hours it simply gets 'clogged' and won't
ping in either direction anymore.  The machine is pinging a couple of
times a minute in order to defeat the idelout on the terminal server,
but despite the inability to ping, it still doesn't hang up.  This
usually happens after several hours of no non-ping activity, like
overnight.

    So we have a site that won't communicate and won't hang up either.
It's running 4.2 (for now) but in desperation, I intend to 'flush and
fill' 5.0 on it this weekend, though I'd rather not.

    It's too old a pppd to support "nomagic" and similar options...is
there anything that anyone has seen like this so far?

    Brian

Brian Fahrlander                       Problem Solver, Technomad, and
Linux-head
Evansville, IN
ICQ:5119262
http://dy*.net/users/kilroy
  Treason? "It's not wether it happened, but the seriousness of the
charge."
                                                         -- Right, Mr.
Gingrich?

Post by bill davids » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

|     The machine will call the ISP on startup and work just fine, using a
| static IP, BTW.  After a few hours it simply gets 'clogged' and won't
| ping in either direction anymore.  The machine is pinging a couple of
| times a minute in order to defeat the idelout on the terminal server,
| but despite the inability to ping, it still doesn't hang up.  This
| usually happens after several hours of no non-ping activity, like
| overnight.
|
|     So we have a site that won't communicate and won't hang up either.
| It's running 4.2 (for now) but in desperation, I intend to 'flush and
| fill' 5.0 on it this weekend, though I'd rather not.
|
|     It's too old a pppd to support "nomagic" and similar options...is
| there anything that anyone has seen like this so far?

You can use the lcmp-echo stuff to detect lack of response at the other
end. You can do a ping and tear down the connection if you get no
answer. You may have to upgrade you pppd and rebuild the kernel, I don't
think a total update would help much.

My thought is that this may very well be at the server end, but check
memory use with 'free' and see if something is leaking. Does your other
IP connectivity still work? Can you telnet to loopback? That will tell
you if the network stack is totally hosed.

--

"In elementary school, in case of fire you have to line up quietly in a
single file line from smallest to tallest. What is the logic? Do tall

Post by Brian Fahrlande » Sat, 30 May 1998 04:00:00

> |     The machine will call the ISP on startup and work just fine, using a
> | static IP, BTW.  After a few hours it simply gets 'clogged' and won't
> | ping in either direction anymore.  The machine is pinging a couple of
> | times a minute in order to defeat the idelout on the terminal server,
> | but despite the inability to ping, it still doesn't hang up.  This
> | usually happens after several hours of no non-ping activity, like
> | overnight.
> |
> |     So we have a site that won't communicate and won't hang up either.
> | It's running 4.2 (for now) but in desperation, I intend to 'flush and
> | fill' 5.0 on it this weekend, though I'd rather not.
> |
> |     It's too old a pppd to support "nomagic" and similar options...is
> | there anything that anyone has seen like this so far?

> You can use the lcmp-echo stuff to detect lack of response at the other
> end. You can do a ping and tear down the connection if you get no
> answer. You may have to upgrade you pppd and rebuild the kernel, I don't
> think a total update would help much.

    Tried that.  Simply killing pppd isn't a total workaround; if you're
dialing out, you'll kill the newly starting process.  It caught me on
that, too.  Try it and see.  :(

Quote:> My thought is that this may very well be at the server end, but check
> memory use with 'free' and see if something is leaking. Does your other
> IP connectivity still work? Can you telnet to loopback? That will tell
> you if the network stack is totally hosed.

    The network stack works in other directions, it's only pppd that
dies.  I don't know what else to do.

    The biggest reason for upgrading is that my home machine is calling
the same ISP, using the same terminal servers, both with a static IP.  I
had problems with it* similarly (but different) to the one we're
talking about.  I dread the upgrade (which from 4.2 to 5.0 is a
flush-and-fill) but it looks like my last hope, so that I can use that
'nomagic' which made my home system work so well.

    Brian

Brian Fahrlander                       Problem Solver, Technomad, and
Linux-head
Evansville, IN
ICQ:5119262
http://dy*.net/users/kilroy
  Treason? "It's not wether it happened, but the seriousness of the
charge."
                                                         -- Right, Mr.
Gingrich?

1. Re. bffcreate -X doesn't work Re: bffcreate -X Doesn't Work

bffcreate first restores all images from the tape to /tmp (default)
and than does a 'restore -p' to pack them in big files and place these
files in /usr/sys/inst.images. It's much more easier to use 'dd' to
copy the files directly from the tape to disk. The only thing you have
to take care about it the naming. If all images are copied run 'inutoc'
on the directory were you placed your files this will create the
table of contents files '.toc'.

frank ;-)

| E-Mail: FRANVM3(KRAEMERF)                 - IBM VNET  "Yes, I'm one  |
| ======  IBMMAIL(DEIBM27S)                 - IBM-Mail   of those      |
|         DE.IBMX400.IBMMAIL.KRAEMER.KRAEME - X.400      stupid IBM    |

| Voice : +49-(0)611/776-364                                           |
| Mail  : Abraham-Lincoln Street 26, 6200 Wiesbaden, Germany           |
'----------------------------------------------------------------------'

2. Phrack

3. 'ppp-on' Works, 'ifup ppp0' Doesn't

4. Can't get SCO to recognize cdrom

5. ppp-up doesn't work anymore

6. help on lpd and news??

7. System Logging doesn't work anymore with PPP?

8. Pascal to Unix Libraries

9. PPP doesn't work under 2.0.26 anymore :-(

10. PPP doesn't work anymore

11. xawtv doesn't work anymore: can't open /dev/video0: No such device

12. svgalib's 3d demo doesn't work anymore

13. > ksh children won't die ; exec doesn't work properly (solution)