ftp automated batch copy

Post by m.hoe » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Currently, I am trying to do a automated/batched/scripted copy of a
directory tree and all files in it from one system to another. I do not know
in advance what the files are called, so i will have to be using wildcards
like *. Due to security restrictions which are enforced by other parties
which I am unable to influence, the only available connection method to me
between these systems is by ftp.

Currently I seem to be facing two issues.

The first is that, as far as i can tell, ftp seems to be unable to copy
subdirectorys. Is there a way to make ftp copy subdirectorys as well, or is
there an enhanced ftp client available which is able to do this?

The second issue is that, when i use ftp using the mput/mget * command, ftp
seems to want a manual confirmation of each file i am trying to copy. This
makes it unpractical for automated/scripted purposes. Is there a way around
this?

All suggestions are more than welcome.

ftp automated batch copy

Post by Michael Nadle » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

1. I don't know if FTP can recurse into subdirectories.  Could you "tar" up the
necessary files and then transmit the tarball to the other system?  The tarball
could then be untar'd into the same locations as on the original machine.  And,
if you use the tar option "-p" all the modification date/times will remain
intact instead of being altered by ftp.  I think that would be better than a
recursive FTP solution.

2. As for mput/mget prompts, use the "prompt" command in FTP to toggle the
interactive mode.

> Currently, I am trying to do a automated/batched/scripted copy of a
> directory tree and all files in it from one system to another. I do not know
> in advance what the files are called, so i will have to be using wildcards
> like *. Due to security restrictions which are enforced by other parties
> which I am unable to influence, the only available connection method to me
> between these systems is by ftp.

> Currently I seem to be facing two issues.

> The first is that, as far as i can tell, ftp seems to be unable to copy
> subdirectorys. Is there a way to make ftp copy subdirectorys as well, or is
> there an enhanced ftp client available which is able to do this?

> The second issue is that, when i use ftp using the mput/mget * command, ftp
> seems to want a manual confirmation of each file i am trying to copy. This
> makes it unpractical for automated/scripted purposes. Is there a way around
> this?

> All suggestions are more than welcome.

  mn.vcf
< 1K Download

ftp automated batch copy

Post by Axel Hinric » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Currently, I am trying to do a automated/batched/scripted copy of a
> directory tree and all files in it from one system to another. I do not know
> in advance what the files are called, so i will have to be using wildcards
> like *. Due to security restrictions which are enforced by other parties
> which I am unable to influence, the only available connection method to me
> between these systems is by ftp.

Use ncftp.

Axel

--
Axel Hinrichs
h i n r i c h s  at  urz dot uni-heidelberg dot de

ftp automated batch copy

Post by Richard J Kin » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:m.hoes writes:
>Currently, I am trying to do a automated/batched/scripted copy of a
>directory tree and all files in it from one system to another. I do not
>know in advance what the files are called, so i will have to be using
>wildcards like *. Due to security restrictions which are enforced by
>other parties which I am unable to influence, the only available
>connection method to me between these systems is by ftp

Use GNU wget, it will do everything you want.

ftp automated batch copy

Post by m.hoe » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

GNU wget?
Ok, checked out the gnu site, looked through the docs, and seems like the
perfect solution!
Found the sources, ... and errr...  SOURCES?

all, a Unix newsgroup)
How do I go about compiling this on M$ NT ? Or are there binary
distributions available?

Post by James Staffor » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> all, a Unix newsgroup)
> How do I go about compiling this on M$ NT ? Or are there binary
> distributions available?

> > m.hoes writes:

Easy, delete Nt, install Linux, compile, and live happily ever after! ;0

couldn't resist,

jamess
--
"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section,
it said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed Linux."

-Anonymous

ftp automated batch copy

Post by Richard J Kin » Sun, 30 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:m.hoes writes:
>How do I go about compiling this [wget] on M$ NT ? Or are there binary
>distributions available?

It's in the GNUTOOLS binary distribution, but I've forgotten where you get
that.  You're certainly welcome to mine.

1. ftp automated batch copy

[...]

2. CD-ROM not in drive

3. mount ext2 (3)

4. "secure" rshd package (or any automated, non-ftp file copying)

5. Newbie Question - How do I switch between CDE's

6. Encrypting ftp password in ftp batch script???

7. "Trust" soundcard on Linux

8. FDISK: Possible to run in automated (batch) mode?

9. scp - Secure Copy in Perl/batch mode

10. Automating smbclient to copy yesterdays logfile

11. Automating smbclient nightly copies

12. bug in at/batch causes batch jobs to be truncated