NFS on two RH5.2 machines

Post by Stephen Loewinsoh » Fri, 26 Feb 1999 04:00:00

 I have two Red Hat 5.2 machines connected via a cross-over cable. They
can ping eachother, rlogin, etc. What do I need to do to enable them to
NFS mount eachother's drives?
 Also they can't rsh, what do I need? NIS?

I'm pretty new to this, so any hints, tips, or advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
 -Steve

NFS on two RH5.2 machines

Post by bklima » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>  I have two Red Hat 5.2 machines connected via a cross-over cable. They
> can ping eachother, rlogin, etc. What do I need to do to enable them to
> NFS mount eachother's drives?
>  Also they can't rsh, what do I need? NIS?

> I'm pretty new to this, so any hints, tips, or advice would be helpful.

> Thanks,
>  -Steve

Newbie here. My 2 machines with RH5.2, also are connected by a cross-over
cable. NFS worked almost right of the box.  Everything what I  needed was

1. run "setup" as root, make sure that the nfs support is enabled.

2. run netconf, also as root, and give the proper permissions for the
directories to be exported.

3. mount the nfs directory. You may want to see my webpage:

http://www.magma.ca/~bklimas/

in which I explain "Linux Newbie Administrator" problems in
some detail.

Hope this helps. Best regards,

b.k.

1. NFS help: RH5.2 i386 - RH5.2 Sparc

I am having some trouble mounting NFS filesystems shared from a Sparc 2
running RedHad 5.2 to an Intel RedHat 5.2 machine.   Shared filesystems
on the Intel machine do automatically mount on the Sparc, however.
During boot, I get a message that says something like
PORTMAPPER FAILURE: could not send.  and the NFS shares are not
mounted.  I have set the /etc/rc.d/init.d/nfsfs script to run in verbose
(#!/bin/sh -x), and that verified that that is where the failure is
happening.

After boot, if I run this script from the command line, it mounts
everything perfectly.  I can also mount everything individually from the
command line with 'mount /export', etc.

running the rpcinfo -p <servername> gives this:
   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  rpcbind
    100000    2   udp    111  rpcbind
    100005    1   udp    635  mountd
    100005    2   udp    635  mountd
    100005    1   tcp    635  mountd
    100005    2   tcp    635  mountd
    100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
    100003    2   tcp   2049  nfs
    300019    1   tcp    923  amd
    300019    1   udp    924  amd

verifying that everything is registered.
running rpcinfo -p <client> gives this:

   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  rpcbind
    100000    2   udp    111  rpcbind
    100005    1   udp    635  mountd
    100005    2   udp    635  mountd
    100005    1   tcp    635  mountd
    100005    2   tcp    635  mountd
    100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
    100003    2   tcp   2049  nfs
    300019    1   tcp    692  amd
    300019    1   udp    693  amd

Which also looks right.

Any ideas out there?
TIA for all help.
    Lou

2. Problem with Networkspeed

3. NFS traffic floods between two sparc machines

4. Comp Joke

5. How to trigger two programs on two different machines at the same time?

6. Removing ^M [Cariage Returns ?]

7. How to set my Linux machine to have two network cards with two IPs

8. problem mounting floppy

9. two ip addresses / two gateways / one machine?

10. How can I mirror two hard drives in two different machines?

11. two IP's on one machine using two differnet NIC's

12. One Process on the machine having two IP address and two ethernet interface.

13. How to keep two directories on two machines identical?