tools to monitor network traffic from the server side

tools to monitor network traffic from the server side

Post by Rahu » Thu, 29 Jul 2010 08:27:59

I've played with Cricket, Cacti, MRTG etc. before to monitor network
traffic but I've always done this by querying the switches concerned. Is
there a way to do something similar on the server side?

The reason for this is that this time around I don't have "root" access
over the switches. So rather than go through all the political channels to
get the SNMP access to the switches it'd be quicker to monitor from the
servers themselves where I do have complete control.

Any tools that can do this? Or at a more of a "hack" level can I get an
indirect idea of network activity by monitoring some kernel network
variable? After all the eth card must know how many packets it sent /
recieced, right?

--
Rahul

tools to monitor network traffic from the server side

Post by Arimu » Thu, 29 Jul 2010 17:29:40

[snip]

Quote:

> Any tools that can do this? Or at a more of a "hack" level can I get an
> indirect idea of network activity by monitoring some kernel network
> variable? After all the eth card must know how many packets it sent /
> recieced, right?

> --
> Rahul

What info do you want? If you have root access to the servers stick
net-snmp on the servers and you'll get the majority of the information
you can get from a switch/router etc...

Otherwise look at something like ntop (http://www.ntop.org)

Post by Joe Beanfis » Fri, 30 Jul 2010 02:41:28

> [snip]

>> Any tools that can do this? Or at a more of a "hack" level can I get an
>> indirect idea of network activity by monitoring some kernel network
>> variable? After all the eth card must know how many packets it sent /
>> recieced, right?

>> --
>> Rahul

> What info do you want? If you have root access to the servers stick
> net-snmp on the servers and you'll get the majority of the information
> you can get from a switch/router etc...

> Otherwise look at something like ntop (http://www.ntop.org)

iptables also has some accounting abilities.

tools to monitor network traffic from the server side

Post by Arimu » Fri, 30 Jul 2010 18:16:10

Quote:> iptables also has some accounting abilities.

It does but using net-snmp the OP will retain the functionality he's
used to via mrtg and via ntop you've got the web front end provided,
also needs alot less poking around...

tools to monitor network traffic from the server side

Post by Rahu » Sat, 31 Jul 2010 09:57:38

Quote:> What info do you want? If you have root access to the servers stick
> net-snmp on the servers and you'll get the majority of the information
> you can get from a switch/router etc...

Thanks! I do have root access to the server. I want some pretty basic info:
e.g. bandwidth used.

--
Rahul

Post by Rahu » Sat, 31 Jul 2010 09:58:20

Quote:> iptables also has some accounting abilities.

Thanks! I do use iptables for a firewal + NAT but didn't realize it could
be used for accounting as well. Will check it out.

--
Rahul

tools to monitor network traffic from the server side

Post by Arimu » Sat, 31 Jul 2010 15:40:35

Quote:> Thanks! I do have root access to the server. I want some pretty basic info:
> e.g. bandwidth used.

In that case net-snmp, ntop or using iptables to do accounting (not
used ipt personally for accounting so no idea on its feature set in
that regard) will give you what you need.

net-snmp means you can use your existing mrtg experience,
ntop gives you some pretty nice stats and remote 9web) access if you
enable it,
ipt - not a clue when you use it for accounting - firewalling, nat and
packet mangling/marking is more my area of knowlege for ipt.

Post by Charles Polishe » Sun, 01 Aug 2010 23:24:22

>> Thanks! I do have root access to the server. I want some pretty basic info:
>> e.g. bandwidth used.

> In that case net-snmp, ntop or using iptables to do accounting (not
> used ipt personally for accounting so no idea on its feature set in
> that regard) will give you what you need.

> net-snmp means you can use your existing mrtg experience,
> ntop gives you some pretty nice stats and remote 9web) access if you
> enable it,
> ipt - not a clue when you use it for accounting - firewalling, nat and
> packet mangling/marking is more my area of knowlege for ipt.

Here's a link to a script you can run with cron to
monitor the bandwidth tx/rx of a server:
http://fixunix.com/slackware/332610-fun-slackware-bandwidth-monitor.html
should work with any distribution.
--
Charles Polisher

tools to monitor network traffic from the server side

Post by zedka » Thu, 12 Aug 2010 23:43:58

[SNIP] knowlege for ipt.

Quote:

> Here's a link to a script you can run with cron to
> monitor the bandwidth tx/rx of a server:
> http://www.veryComputer.com/
> should work with any distribution.

# /usr/local/bin/logifx eth0
PANIC: reading ifconfig

# ifconfig eth0
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr nn:nn:nn:nn:nn:nn
          inet addr:10.12.24.30  Bcast:10.12.24.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::221:70ff:febd:a34f/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:920724581 (920.7 MB)  TX bytes:278641991 (278.6 MB)
          Interrupt:17

Dist is Ubuntu 10.04 x64

Opps! :(

--
Please do not reply to my Email address. It is a faux Email address.
*punk FPS/MMORG      www.neocron.com

tools to monitor network traffic from the server side

Post by zedka » Fri, 13 Aug 2010 00:00:50

ntop

I thought that I would try and install this, but alas the package from
ntop.org (via sourceforge) is incomplete, or poorly documented.

The tarball contains the ascii file : INSTALL, which has this at the top
of it:
"Basic Installation
==================

Briefly, the shell commands `./configure; make; make install' should
configure, build, and install this package.  The following
more-detailed instructions are generic; see the `README' file for
instructions specific to this package."

Of course, the file configure is not in the tarball ntop-4.0.tar.gz:-
# pwd
/tmp/ntop-4.0.1
# find | grep configure
./misc/configure.in.perl
./misc/configure.in.lua
./configure.in
./configureextra
./configureextra/FREEBSD
./configureextra/AIX
./configureextra/LINUXredhat9
./configureextra/functions
./configureextra/readme
./configureextra/LINUXsuse
./configureextra/SOLARIS8
./configureextra/LINUXwhitebox3.0
./configureextra/openbsd
./configureextra/HPUX
./configureextra/LINUXredhat3
./configureextra/LINUXredhat8.0
./configureextra/SOLARIS9
./configureextra/python-config
./configureextra/DARWIN
./configureextra/LINUXmandrake
./configureextra/SOLARIS10
./packages/FreeBSD-ports/net/ntop/files/patch-configure
./packages/FreeBSD-ports/net/ntop/files/patch-configure-in

nice one ;)

--
Please do not reply to my Email address. It is a faux Email address.
*punk FPS/MMORG      www.neocron.com
Runs on Windows, platinum in latest WINE/Ubuntu. Running since 2002.

tools to monitor network traffic from the server side

Post by Arimu » Fri, 13 Aug 2010 17:07:28

Quote:> ntop

> I thought that I would try and install this, but alas the package from
> ntop.org (via sourceforge) is incomplete, or poorly documented.

Just taken a look at Ubuntu's packages (I don't use it currently
running Fedora 13 on my netbook as the bluetooth works better) and
ntop is in the repositories for Ubuntu, should just be a case of doing
apt-get install ntop (its in the universal repo).

1. tools for monitoring network activities & traffics

Is there any tools in public domain that can monitor the
network activities and traffics? (says, tcplogger, nfswatch,
snmp, ... etc). We have some Ultrix DEC and SunOS SUN servers.
These servers and their clients are linked up
by SynOptics 3000 concentrators. We would like to tune up our
network but we need to have some data of our network activities
and traffics first.

I would very appreciate it if anyone could inform me these tools
via e-mail. Thanks.

--
Alan S. H. Lam
Department of Information Engineering, CUHK, Hong Kong

Tel: (852) 609 8364 Fax: (852) 603 5032

2. Samba

3. network traffic monitoring tool

4. Printtool apparently not updating

5. Free network traffic monitoring tool

6. unable to build ghemical in slackware

7. Help me. [Network traffic monitoring/gathering tool]

8. pcnfsd?

9. Monitoring Tool for Server/Network

10. Monitor side-to-side shimmy

11. Traffic monitoring tool.

12. Side-to-side monitor movement

13. Graphical TCP/IP traffic monitoring tool ?