lpd stops sending queued print jobs to remote Print Server.

lpd stops sending queued print jobs to remote Print Server.

Post by Scot » Tue, 28 Dec 1999 04:00:00

We currently have on our network one EtherFast 10/100 3-Port PrintServer
w/BIOS rev 6014.

The problem we are experiencing is that the Redhat Linux 6.1 server's
lpd program stops sending queued print jobs to the printer.

The only way we can correct the problem is to stop and restart the lpd
daemon.

/etc/rc.d/init.d/lpd stop && /etc/rc.d/init.d/lpd start

Is there anything we can do to fix this problem?

Thanks,

Scot

Post by Scot » Wed, 29 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> >We currently have on our network one EtherFast 10/100 3-Port PrintServer
> >w/BIOS rev 6014.

> >The problem we are experiencing is that the Redhat Linux 6.1 server's
> >lpd program stops sending queued print jobs to the printer.

> >The only way we can correct the problem is to stop and restart the lpd
> >daemon.

> >/etc/rc.d/init.d/lpd stop && /etc/rc.d/init.d/lpd start

> >Is there anything we can do to fix this problem?

> Next time it stops, run: lpq -Pprintername

I believe I tried that, and all it showed was the queued messages, no idication why it stopped
printing.

Quote:> to see what comes back. This might include a message indicating why your
> lpd thinks the remote box is not able to receive the job.
> Why makes your EtherFast print server?

The print server is made by LinkSys.

Scot

Post by Scot » Thu, 30 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> >We currently have on our network one EtherFast 10/100 3-Port PrintServer
> >w/BIOS rev 6014.

> >The problem we are experiencing is that the Redhat Linux 6.1 server's
> >lpd program stops sending queued print jobs to the printer.

> >The only way we can correct the problem is to stop and restart the lpd
> >daemon.

> >/etc/rc.d/init.d/lpd stop && /etc/rc.d/init.d/lpd start

> >Is there anything we can do to fix this problem?

> Next time it stops, run: lpq -Pprintername
> to see what comes back. This might include a message indicating why your
> lpd thinks the remote box is not able to receive the job.

The server stopped sending jobs to the remote printer, again.  Here's the output of lpq + a few
other's that I could think of.

# lpq -Prlp0
gi2.mydomain.org: sending to pserv1.mydomain.org
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
1st    bin        108  (standard input)                      106868 bytes
0 bytes
3rd    bin        109  (standard input)                      7723 bytes

(LPD Server):

# lpc
lpc> status rlp0
rlp0:
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        3 entries in spool area
        sending to pserv1.mydomain.org

ls -la /var/spool/lpd/rlp0
total 376
drwxr-xr-x   4 root     lp           2048 Dec 29 11:56 .
drwxrwxr-x   6 root     daemon       1024 Sep 10 16:40 ..
-rw-r----x   1 root     lp              4 Dec 29 11:54 .seq
-rw-rw----   1 bin      lp            100 Dec 29 11:39 cfA108gIwi6OT
-rw-rw----   1 root     root           97 Dec 29 11:56 cfA108gMfOgXu
-rw-rw----   1 root     root            0 Dec 29 11:56 cfA108gahoIoL
-rw-rw----   1 bin      lp            100 Dec 29 11:54 cfA109gi2.mydomain.org
-rw-rw----   1 bin      lp          21889 Dec 21 16:34 dfA036g30Ai39
-rw-rw----   1 bin      lp         106868 Dec 29 11:39 dfA108gIy8uuk
-rw-rw-r--   1 root     root       106868 Dec 29 11:42 dfA108gXCesag
-rw-rw-r--   1 root     root       106868 Dec 29 11:56 dfA108gi2.mydomain.org
-rw-rw----   1 bin      lp           7723 Dec 29 11:54 dfA109gi2.mydomain.org
-rw-rw----   1 bin      lp           2332 Dec 20 10:45 dfA941g9rEK7K

In order to get the server printing again, I had to use:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/lpd stop && /etc/rc.d/init.d/lpd start

to get the lpd to print.

Any I deals as to why lpd stops printing?

Thanks,

Scot

lpd stops sending queued print jobs to remote Print Server.

Post by Karlheinz Boehm » Fri, 31 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Don't know if this helps in your case, but I had the same problem on a SCO
box
some years ago. It exactly printed one job and had to be restarted.
It showed, that the entry '127.0.0.1  localhost' was missing in the file
'/etc/hosts'.

Quote:> We currently have on our network one EtherFast 10/100 3-Port PrintServer

Post by Scot » Sat, 01 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> What version of lpr do you have installed?  I had a similar problem when I was using lpr-0.43.  It

was resolved when I installed version 0.46 or greater.
Quote:> Hope it helps.

We have lpr-0.41-2 installed.  Upgrading to lpr-0.46-1, will see if that will correct our printing
problem.

Thanks for the hint.

Scot

lpd stops sending queued print jobs to remote Print Server.

Post by Scot » Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> This probably won't help much, but:  "sending to ..." means the lpd running
> on the Linux server has a TCP connection open to the print server, but the
> connection is (probably) hung. If you look at "netstat" output at this time,
> you should see a State=ESTABLISHED connection to port 515 (printer) on
> your print server.  Look under Send-Q and you may see a fairly large
> number (bytes waiting to be sent) which stays constant as you repeat netstat.

# netstat | grep pserv1
tcp        0      0 gi2.genroco.com:1021    pserv1.genroco.:printer ESTABLISHED

There appears to be nothing in the Send-Q.

Quote:> The reason this probably won't help, is that if the above is true,
> it is pointing to a TCP protocol problem on the little network print server.
> It isn't as unlikely as it sounds; I have seen it with other makes. But
> that wouldn't explain being able to print from other Linux boxes.
> Some network print servers have flash-upgradable memory; you should check
> with the maker to see if they have issued updates.

Scot

1. Howto send print jobs to a remote print server (SMC Barricade)

Hi,

I've recently purchased an SMC Barricade router/gateway that has an onboard
print server.  My linux box connects to the Barricade via ethernet and the
Barricade connects to the printer via a parallel port.

The Barricade router/gateway is advertised as supporting linux print jobs.

What do I need to do to be able to send print jobs to the print server on the
Barricade?

Thanks,

Michael

2. Cups spool cleared on reboot?

3. send print job to NT print server

4. Does anyone have nn running on IBM RS/6000?

5. lpd print queues 0 bytes jobs

6. dynamic ip and mail

7. moving print job among print queues?

8. Change resolution of X11

9. SVR4 doesn't print my LPD print jobs

10. Printing: lpd loses print jobs

11. lpd checking remote (linux) print queue status

12. generic lpd queue for printing to remote printers

13. sending print jobs to win98 printer from lpd crashes win98 box