IP Masq and ICQ Chat

Post by Alexander Atki » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I am running a router with IP masquerading on my LAN.  I know it doesnt
work with ICQ filetransfer (downloading to me) but I am also having
problems sometimes with the ICQ chat system especially if its with more
than one person.
It seems to timeout and so tells me people have gone off the chat when
they have not.  Other times when joining or starting a chat some people
will NEVER show up yet other people on the chat can see them.  If I
cannot see someone they cannot see me either and it appears to be
trouble with the way ICQ does a direct connection.
Other times it works fine though and recently and had a chat with 7
other people (the most I ever I have done) and it worked perfectly.

Is this a problem with my router setup or with my ISP being too slow as
it often lags and stalls doing normal Internet stuff like Web Surfing or
FTP.

If its a problem with my router could you give me some suggestions on
how to fix it, the ICQ kernel patch wouldnt compile for me so thats not
really an option unless you can tell me how to get it working under
Slackware 4.0 (Kernel 2.2.6).

Thankyou for your help,

Alex.

IP Masq and ICQ Chat

Post by QuestionExchang » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I am running a router with IP masquerading on my LAN.  I know
> it doesnt  work with ICQ filetransfer (downloading to me) but I
> am also having problems sometimes with the ICQ chat system
> especially if its with more than one person. It seems to
> timeout and so tells me people have gone off the chat when they
> have not.  Other times when joining or starting a chat some
> people will NEVER show up yet other people on the chat can see
> them.  If I cannot see someone they cannot see me either and it
> appears to be trouble with the way ICQ does a direct
> connection. Other times it works fine though and recently and
> had a chat with 7 other people (the most I ever I have done)
> and it worked perfectly.  Is this a problem with my router
> setup or with my ISP being too slow as it often lags and stalls
> doing normal Internet stuff like Web Surfing or FTP.  If its a
> problem with my router could you give me some suggestions on
> how to fix it, the ICQ kernel patch wouldnt compile for me so
> thats not really an option unless you can tell me how to get it
> working under Slackware 4.0 (Kernel 2.2.6).  Thankyou for your
> help,  Alex.

If your using LICQ, your problems are there, it doesnt get
along well with chat.  If not, you should probably raise your
ipchains MASQ timeouts.    I use and reccomend: ipchains --
masquerade -M -S 360 360 360  It leaves the ports open, but it
keeps users from whining most of the time ;-)  Best of luck!

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com
  http://www.questionexchange.com/servlet1/showUsenetGuest?ans_id=2430&...

1. ICQ in IP Masq / ipautofw problem

Hi,

I'm setting up a server with IP masq to serve my two other computers.
I get everything done and work fine. But when I use ICQ in the client
machines (Win95 & Mac). I follow the guidelines in Masq app website for
setting up IP Masq for ICQ and ipautofw doesn't work. I have checked
that the option is included in the kernel already. And then I try
ipportfw. But it still not successful. And I got the following error
message:

setsockopt failed: Protocol not available

This happen whatever I execute ipautofw or ipportfw. Anyone has idea for
this?

Thanks
Kelvin

2. Heeelllp Mr. Wizard!!!

3. ICQ through IP Masq

4. Mozilla authentication

5. IP Masq and ICQ (quick question)

6. Is Qt on linux Professional or Enterprise Edition?

7. IP Masq (works) and ICQ (!@#$% doesn't work)

8. looking for hoc6

9. ICQ and IP MASQ

10. ICQ problems with IP Masq Debian 2.2.15

11. Does ICQ and Yahoo Chess work with IP Masq?

12. IP MASQ and ICQ.

13. ICQ behind IP Masq w/firewall UDP port 4000 ???