Configuring Mail with an @Home connection

Post by Jeff Peters » Thu, 05 Aug 1999 04:00:00

When configuring a mail server for Linux, do I just configure
Sendmail?  Does this program both send and receive email?  What does
Fetchmail do?

If I want to receive email from the outside world, do I need a static
IP and a name registered with InterNIC?  In the meantime, can my

Will QMail do all of this?

At this stage in my Linux learning, I am just trying to figure out how
to send email out from my server to the world, but I would like to
figure out how to receive email via my server.

thanks for any help or direction!

Jeff Peterson

Configuring Mail with an @Home connection

Post by haze » Thu, 05 Aug 1999 04:00:00

let me know anything you recieve on the subject in the same process
HAZE

> When configuring a mail server for Linux, do I just configure
> Sendmail?? Does this program both send and receive email?? What does
> Fetchmail do?

> If I want to receive email from the outside world, do I need a static
> IP and a name registered with InterNIC?? In the meantime, can my

> Will QMail do all of this?

> At this stage in my Linux learning, I am just trying to figure out how
> to send email out from my server to the world, but I would like to
> figure out how to receive email via my server.

> thanks for any help or direction!

> Jeff Peterson

Configuring Mail with an @Home connection

Post by gus » Thu, 05 Aug 1999 04:00:00

What dist are you using?

How hard do you want to make it?

I've got Redhat 5.2 & installed Netscape.  Somewhere, buried in the middle
of the book that came with the software, I found some simple instructions
for configuring the system to dial through the modem.  Real good
instructions - I had to enter the ISP phone number, select a few choices
like DHCP, etc.

Then, in NS, I had to enter the user name, password, etc. for my account.

As best as I understand (I'm still new to Linux), I can use Pine to send
mail right ot of the box.  I think you'd have to configure fetchmail to
receive anything.  I haven't gotten that far yet - I'm still using Netscape,
or (yuk) Windoze...

Hope this helps...

> When configuring a mail server for Linux, do I just configure
> Sendmail?  Does this program both send and receive email?  What does
> Fetchmail do?

> If I want to receive email from the outside world, do I need a static
> IP and a name registered with InterNIC?  In the meantime, can my

> Will QMail do all of this?

> At this stage in my Linux learning, I am just trying to figure out how
> to send email out from my server to the world, but I would like to
> figure out how to receive email via my server.

> thanks for any help or direction!

> Jeff Peterson

Configuring Mail with an @Home connection

Post by Jeff Peters » Thu, 05 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>How hard do you want to make it?

I am currently using RH6.  I have not had a problem getting Linux to
talk with the internet and web server setup that is accessable to the

using Netscape.

What I am trying to learn, is how to setup mail on my server.  I guess
there are different mail transfer agents, and am just trying to get a
grasp on how to use them.

Post by John Mell » Thu, 05 Aug 1999 04:00:00

|> When configuring a mail server for Linux, do I just configure
|> Sendmail?  Does this program both send and receive email?  What does
|> Fetchmail do?
|>
|> If I want to receive email from the outside world, do I need a static
|> IP and a name registered with InterNIC?  In the meantime, can my

|> Will QMail do all of this?
|>
|> At this stage in my Linux learning, I am just trying to figure out how
|> to send email out from my server to the world, but I would like to
|> figure out how to receive email via my server.

handle any kind of encryption so simple pop-3 connections are indicated.

Here is my .fetchmailrc file:

set postmaster "postmaster"
poll mail with proto POP3
       user "mailname1" there with password "pwd1" is username1 here options fetchall
       user "mailname2" there with password "pwd2" is usrname2 here options fetchall

--
John Mellor     Kitchener, Ontario, Canada    http://www.kitchener.com/mellor/

Configuring Mail with an @Home connection

Post by gus » Thu, 05 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I guess I got this far and wimped out - I quit trying when I got Netscape
email working.

But I'd like to try to help:  if rh 6 is like rh 5,  SENDING mail with Pine
(or whatever) should be no big deal - the defaults worked fine for me...

GETTING mail, as far as I know, involves the FETCHMAIL program - that's (I
think) what you should focus on.

I say this because SENDMAIL is reported to be a real *y app to
configure - don't want to see you go there if that's not your problem.

On the other hand, to be any good at linux, I guess you'll have to face it
eventually.  But for starters, I'd go with the easy ways first - less
frustrating that way...

Good luck!

Post by Jia A » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> handle any kind of encryption so simple pop-3 connections are indicated.

> Here is my .fetchmailrc file:

> set postmaster "postmaster"
> poll mail with proto POP3
>        user "mailname1" there with password "pwd1" is username1 here options fetchall
>        user "mailname2" there with password "pwd2" is usrname2 here options fetchall

> --
> John Mellor     Kitchener, Ontario, Canada   http://www.kitchener.com/mellor/

There's one thing you should be aware .... if you are using pine to recieve email ...
You gonna config your domain exactly as your email domain ... you don't want to people

:-)