replace windows/samba

Post by kaji shu » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 12:51:21

i'd love to replace my home linux server running samba to support my
win 98 clients with the linux server supporting just linux clients.
how do i do that?  i know that nis is a key pice of the puzzle, and
i've kinda got it working.  but what linux tool do i use to recreate
the windows server roaming profiles?

tia,
kaji shun

replace windows/samba

Post by Dean Thompso » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 13:39:32

Hi!,

Quote:> i'd love to replace my home linux server running samba to support my
> win 98 clients with the linux server supporting just linux clients.
> how do i do that?  i know that nis is a key pice of the puzzle, and
> i've kinda got it working.  but what linux tool do i use to recreate
> the windows server roaming profiles?

It sounds like you are going to need help from the NIS-HOWTO located at
http://www.linuxdoc.org as well as finding out more information about the
auto-mounter which is capable of automatically mounting directories when they
are needed (like /home/<username>) and then removing the mount when they no
longer need to use it.

See ya

Dean Thompson

1. SAMBA replacing windows NT

Hello -
Been working with Linux for a few days now and am ready to happily replace
all my expensive and bloated NT 4 servers with some leaner hardware.  I've
read SAMBA can help me do this.  Now when configured right, I can use these
machines as file servers and print servers, correct?  (Obviously I can do
much more with Linux, but let's stick with this for now)  For print servers,
Linux doesn't actually provide the printer driver, correct?  I assume the
client (Win95 in this case) provides printer-specific formatting codes, etc.

If Linux can do all this (with tons less hardware than NT) I would throw
away windows NT in a second.  Also, how does Linux deal with filesystem
fragmentation?  Does it occur on the ext2fs file system?  If so, how does
one defragment a Linux partition?

Thanks!
Jake Kruse
Family Home Mortgage

2. S3 Trio64V+ and lockups

3. A few questions regarding samba from a samba and windows rookie

4. Linux versions for Macintosh (besides MkLinux)

5. Samba Performance - Not a samba question about Windows Pwd Encrypt!

6. 2.1.5R: unwanted default route at startup

7. Using samba and windows drivers to print to windows printer

8. please help me - i can't login

9. replacing NT PDC with linux and samba?

10. (Samba) Wins - Backup (replace NT)

11. Using samba to replace NFS / NFS alternative ???...

12. smbmount replaced by smbsh in Samba 2.0.3 - who knows details ?

13. Replacing Netware: NT or Samba/Netatalk?