Loss of network connection

Post by Troy Farncomb » Sun, 01 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a large problem that I am unable to fix.  I had kernel 2.0.29
running on a Pentium Pro with a 3c900 ethernet card and an IDE CDROM
networked to some SPARC's.  The network worked great once I got the
updated driver for the ethernet.  However, I have just removed the CDROM
and now I am unable to access the network.  I have recompiled the kernel
and removed the CDROM support, but this doesn't help.  Additionally,
sometimes OpenWindows fails to run now.  When I do a dmesg after booting
it lists a whole bunch of numbers in columns and I think it says
something about something timimg out.  I think there must be some kind
of a conflict, but I have no idea what is conflicting.  Please help me.

Troy

Loss of network connection

Post by Troy Farncomb » Sun, 01 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a large problem that I am unable to fix.  I had kernel 2.0.29
running on a Pentium Pro with a 3c900 ethernet card and an IDE CDROM
networked to some SPARC's.  The network worked great once I got the
updated driver for the ethernet.  However, I have just removed the CDROM
and now I am unable to access the network.  I have recompiled the kernel
and removed the CDROM support, but this doesn't help.  Additionally,
sometimes OpenWindows fails to run now.  When I do a dmesg after booting
it lists a whole bunch of numbers in columns and I think it says
something about something timimg out.  I think there must be some kind
of a conflict, but I have no idea what is conflicting.  Please help me.

Troy

1. Random loss of network connection

Maybe someone can help me with this one:
I am running Slackware Linux 2.0.27 with an NE2000 compatible ethernet card
(with support compiled in kernel).  Upon bootup I can access the network just
fine (FTP, telnet, ping, whatever).  At some random time (ranging from 5min to
1 day) I loose the connection.  I can't ping, ftp or anything.
I can see no pattern in when this is happening.

I also run Win95 on the same machine, and I don't ever seem to have problems.
THe only clue I can find is I get this message in /usr/adm/debug
Jan 20 15:46:20 CHAD058-012 kernel: eth0: Tx timed out, lost interrupt? TSR=0x3, ISR=0x3, t=64.
Jan 20 15:46:22 CHAD058-012 kernel: eth0: Tx timed out, lost interrupt? TSR=0x3, ISR=0x3, t=134.
Jan 20 15:46:23 CHAD058-012 kernel: eth0: Tx timed out, lost interrupt? TSR=0x3, ISR=0x3, t=97.
Jan 20 15:46:24 CHAD058-012 kernel: eth0: Tx timed out, lost interrupt? TSR=0x3, ISR=0x3, t=171.
Jan 20 15:46:29 CHAD058-012 kernel: eth0: Tx timed out, lost interrupt? TSR=0x3, ISR=0x3, t=429.
etc...

If I run ifconfig it says the base of eth0 is still 300 and IRQ 11.

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated! I don't want to have to resort to WIN95
to get a stable connection.

of losing important messages)

2. apache advisory, upgrade my apache?

3. Loss of Network connection when Apache installed

4. Freeze on reboot

5. Loss of network connection

6. How do you get rid of LILO?

7. TCP connections not recovering from packet loss

8. RFC: Network driver info to userspace

9. How do I detect TCP/IP connection loss using TLI?

10. Can recv() detect loss of TCP connection?

11. find new route after connection loss

12. Troubleshooting connection loss (continued)

13. Loss of Internet connection locks NT workstation