Linux Gateway w/o masquerading

Post by Malay Sha » Mon, 13 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi.  I have Redhat Linux 5.1 and I was wondering how I could setup my
Linux machine as a gateway, without using ip masquerading.  My Linux
machine has to network cards.
ETH0 has an IP of 24.64.188.176
ETH1 has an IP of 192.168.64.125
ETH0 has a direct connection to the net, using a default gateway of
24.64.188.1.  I was wondering, how I could forward packets from
192.168.64.125 to 24.64.188.1, so my other machines could get on the
net.  The reason why I want to do this, is because I can't play Quake on
Heat.net with masquerading enabled.  I've also used the ip_masq_quake
module, but that didn't help, because it only allows packets to travel
through UDP port 26000, and heat uses 8000-9000.  Thanks a lot.

Linux Gateway w/o masquerading

Post by Rudolf Potuc » Mon, 13 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I am not entirely sure (don't play quake and haven't yet looked into
detail of masquerade) but if I understand the code correctly
(/usr/src/linux/net/ipv4/ip_masq_quake.c) then the module supports ports
26000 and 27000. If so, just *adding* 8000 and 9000 (or whatever) to that
list and recompiling should do the trick ...

Rudolf

--

Post by Brian McCaule » Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Hi.  I have Redhat Linux 5.1 and I was wondering how I could setup my
> Linux machine as a gateway, without using ip masquerading.

No problem - just do it.  You must of course get some real IP address
space first.

Linux Gateway w/o masquerading

Post by Dan Birchal » Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> > Hi.  I have Redhat Linux 5.1 and I was wondering how I
> > could setup my Linux machine as a gateway, without using
> > ip masquerading.

> No problem - just do it.  You must of course get some real
> IP address space first.

How challenging would it be to just set the box up as an
application server (that is to say, an X client), network
some clients (that is to say, X servers) to it, also running
Linux, and run everything on the main machine, thus not
requiring masquerading?

-Dan

--
Dan 'Shag' Birchall, Moorestown, New Jersey.  Spam delenda est.
Made possible by Cannondale, NEC, Red Hat and viewers like you.

Post by Tom Yo » Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>How challenging would it be to just set the box up as an
>application server (that is to say, an X client), network
>some clients (that is to say, X servers) to it, also running
>Linux, and run everything on the main machine, thus not
>requiring masquerading?

With two NIC's it very easy.  Enable ip forwarding, check
routing tables and you're done.

1. NAT (IP Masquerading) vs. Linux Gateway

I need to setup a connection between a private LAN and the Internet and
have been monitoring this news group to see whats up.  I need the
ability to browse the web and send/receive e-mail.  It looks like there
are two ways (maybe more) to accomplish this.  One could use network
address translation and port forwarding via Linux ipchains.  One could
also setup a cacheing proxy, Squid comes to mind, and mail server, via
sendmail/fetchmail.  What I would like to know is what are the pros and
cons of each approach?  Some things that I would consider are:

1. Security
2. Configurability
3. Performance

Thanks for any replys!

-- john edwards

   301.470.4805

2. Linux mentioned....

3. Slow FTP upload to my Linux gateway (masquerading)

4. concurrent server... arghhhh HELP!

5. Caldera Linux 2.2 Gateway/masquerading/socks problem

6. Restrict find command from traversing sub-directories?

7. Linux Gateway/IP Masquerade??

8. Which Ghostscript to Use for Epson Printer

9. masquerading ipsec VPN through Linux 2.4 (Mandrake 8.1) Gateway

10. Caldera Linux 2.2 Gateway/masquerading/socks problem

11. Using Windows NetMeeting from behind a Masquerading Linux gateway

12. The Great gateway Train or how to gateway behind the gateway

13. Change gateway ip adress, no more masquerading ?