Abnormal Ipchains behavior

Post by Nathanael Noble » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I have a redhat 6.1 system running on a 24 network cablemodem. It
masquerades my win9x machine on a 192.168 network. It works fairly well. All
but one little problem. It is periodical. When the system sits for awhile it
stops working. The best way I have found is to telnet from my 192 address to
the 24 address. That's the only thing that wakes up the system. Any
thoughts. If I ping or use http or mail or anything else I just get time
outs. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas what is causing this.

Nathanael

Post by Tom Easte » Sat, 20 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> I have a redhat 6.1 system running on a 24 network cablemodem. It
> masquerades my win9x machine on a 192.168 network. It works fairly well. All
> but one little problem. It is periodical. When the system sits for awhile it
> stops working. The best way I have found is to telnet from my 192 address to
> the 24 address. That's the only thing that wakes up the system. Any
> thoughts. If I ping or use http or mail or anything else I just get time
> outs. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas what is causing this.

APM enabled in the BIOS of your Linux firewall? Doing so often causes
problems when the system "sits for a while".

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep               \    Opinions expressed here

Shoreline, Washington USA  \    those of my employer

Abnormal Ipchains behavior

Post by MNC » Sat, 20 Nov 1999 04:00:00

IF it is APM problems, on ANY kind of server, serving any resources, it
SHOULD become common practise to turn off any APM support. APM is known to
not resume correctly on system devices (all the way from PCMCIA on
notebooks, so PCI slots on desktops).

MNC

> > I have a redhat 6.1 system running on a 24 network cablemodem. It
> > masquerades my win9x machine on a 192.168 network. It works fairly well.
All
> > but one little problem. It is periodical. When the system sits for
awhile it
> > stops working. The best way I have found is to telnet from my 192
address to
> > the 24 address. That's the only thing that wakes up the system. Any
> > thoughts. If I ping or use http or mail or anything else I just get time
> > outs. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas what is causing this.

> APM enabled in the BIOS of your Linux firewall? Doing so often causes
> problems when the system "sits for a while".

> -Tom
> --
> Tom Eastep               \    Opinions expressed here

> Shoreline, Washington USA  \    those of my employer

Abnormal Ipchains behavior

Post by Nathanael Noble » Sat, 20 Nov 1999 04:00:00

No APM is not enabled in the system BIOS.
What else?

> > I have a redhat 6.1 system running on a 24 network cablemodem. It
> > masquerades my win9x machine on a 192.168 network. It works fairly well.
All
> > but one little problem. It is periodical. When the system sits for
awhile it
> > stops working. The best way I have found is to telnet from my 192
address to
> > the 24 address. That's the only thing that wakes up the system. Any
> > thoughts. If I ping or use http or mail or anything else I just get time
> > outs. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas what is causing this.

> APM enabled in the BIOS of your Linux firewall? Doing so often causes
> problems when the system "sits for a while".

> -Tom
> --
> Tom Eastep               \    Opinions expressed here

> Shoreline, Washington USA  \    those of my employer

1. abnormal Ipchains behavior

I have a redhat 6.1 system running on a 24 network cablemodem. It
masquerades my win9x machine on a 192.168 network. It works fairly well. All
but one little problem. It is periodical. When the system sits for awhile it
stops working. The best way I have found is to telnet from my 192 address to
the 24 address. That's the only thing that wakes up the system. Any
thoughts. If I ping or use http or mail or anything else I just get time
outs. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas what is causing this.

Nathanael

2. Red Hat woes...

3. Ipchains abnormal behavior

4. Quick question about saving proxy-arp flag

5. <zombie> processes and abnormal behavior!!!

6. X freezes

7. abnormal 'top' behaviour

8. NFS PROBLEMS

9. Abnormal mutex behavior

10. Strange behavior of ipchains firewall with pptp and ADSLmodem

11. : Weird ">" redirect behavior vs. ">>" redirect behavior

12. ipchains-save, ipchains-restore (and WINS)

13. ipchains: command not found - only sometimes (ipchains newbie)