AT&T Worldnet connection

Post by Brian Moor » Fri, 13 Jun 1997 04:00:00

As a relative newbie to unix/linux I have installed Slackware 3.1 on my
machine.  I found some instructions on the net somewhere that described
how to set up a PPP connection for AT&T Worldnet.  When I run the ppp-on
perl script they provided, it appears that the computer is trying to do
something, but it gives me about 5 lines of repeating jibberrish text
before quitting.  Anyone have any suggestions?  If I didn't provide
enough info, let me know.
Brian
--
spammer strikeback:

AT&T Worldnet connection

Post by Jak » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>As a relative newbie to unix/linux I have installed Slackware 3.1 on my
>machine.  I found some instructions on the net somewhere that described
>how to set up a PPP connection for AT&T Worldnet.  When I run the ppp-on
>perl script they provided, it appears that the computer is trying to do
>something, but it gives me about 5 lines of repeating jibberrish text
>before quitting.  Anyone have any suggestions?  If I didn't provide
>enough info, let me know.
>Brian
>--
>spammer strikeback:

it is not you AT&T has some *ed up logon sript and it is a pain i
just switched isp's ..

AT&T Worldnet connection

Post by Soren Laurse » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> >As a relative newbie to unix/linux I have installed Slackware 3.1 on my
> >machine.  I found some instructions on the net somewhere that described
> >how to set up a PPP connection for AT&T Worldnet.  When I run the ppp-on
> >perl script they provided, it appears that the computer is trying to do
> >something, but it gives me about 5 lines of repeating jibberrish text
> >before quitting.  Anyone have any suggestions?  If I didn't provide
> >enough info, let me know.
> >Brian
> >--
> >spammer strikeback:

> it is not you AT&T has some *ed up logon sript and it is a pain i
> just switched isp's ..

Well, I am on Worldnet. If you follow the instructions exactly it

1. Making a @!&# PPP connection to WorldNet

Has anyone successfully connected a Linux PPP session to AT&Ts' Worldnet
service.  Their doc says that they use CHAP which I have set up but I think
my problem is with the way they expect the userid & passwords to come in.

Let me explain...  Upon negotiated modem connection, worldnet presents a
"Please Sign-on:" prompt.  If I reply my 9 character userid, I then get the
password prompt.  Replying my password to this I get an invalid userid
message.

goes into the PPP negotiation which fails.

My chap & pap -secrets files both have
9charuserid      *           password

h......e.......l........p!!!!

Thanks in advance...........

Steve Dower

2. XF86Config display modes

3. PPP connection AT&T Worldnet

4. Lindows bashing.

5. ppp connection to AT&T WorldNet Service

6. Fixed priority scheduling in Solaris 2.6

7. AT&T Worldnet Connection

8. Samba error mate!

9. Chat script to connect to AT&T Worldnet almost working (drops connection)

10. I have AT&T Worldnet & Linux working!

11. ppp & chat scripts for AT&T's worldnet service???

12. Please Help: AT&T worldnet & Solaris x86 2.5 modem

13. AT&T Worldnet & Linux - another try.