DHCPD + Linux + Novell + 2 ethernet cards

DHCPD + Linux + Novell + 2 ethernet cards

Post by Joe Salin » Fri, 22 Aug 1997 04:00:00

This looks like a helpful place!
I have a Novell 3.12 server that has 2 NIC cards resulting in 2 separate
networks.
I am trying to set up a Linux (Slackware 2.0.30) DHCP server to assign
ip addresses
to the Novell Network, and function as a web server. I have 2 nic cards
in the linux box,
eth0 and eth1. I am using DHCP beta 0.65. I can get one of the linux
nics to assign ips
to half the novell net. If I switch sides with linux, it assigns ip to
the other half. I have
been unable to get novell to forward packets from the away side to the
DHCP server.
I thought using 2 nic cards in the linux box, one on each half of the
network would solve
my problem, but DHCP says I need BPF or NIT support compiled in to
broadcast on more
than one eth device.

Are BPF and NIT kernel compile options? (don't remember seeing them)
Do I have any other options?
Has anyone had luck assigning 2 ips to one card (in the linux box) and
have it talk to both networks?
Have I missed the obvious?
Am I an idiot?

Any help greatly appreciated!
Thank you
Joe Saling

DHCPD + Linux + Novell + 2 ethernet cards

Post by m.. » Sat, 23 Aug 1997 04:00:00

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997 12:31:23 -0400, Joe Saling

<snip>

Quote:>the other half. I have
>been unable to get novell to forward packets from the away side to the
>DHCP server.

<snip>

You've probably already done this, but...

When you load TCPIP.NLM on the NW Server, you must specify
FORWARD=YES, like this:

load tcpip forward=yes

I have worked with the same basic setup (except three NICs in the
server) and it seemed to work fine.  You might also want to get the
latest TCPIP files from Novell - http://support.novell.com - search
for TCPN04.EXE.

matt*utw.com

.
>>I have
>>been unable to get novell to forward packets from the away side to the
>>DHCP server.

Load BOOTPFWD on the Netware server.  You should be able to download it from
Novell's web site.  Do a search for the file.  If you can't find it, check in
the latest TCP/IP NLMs from novell.

Alex

1. Using 2 ethernet cards with Linux<->Novell

I'm trying to setup a Linux box to act as a telnet responder for our Novell
network.  I've been able to telnet in and run dosemu fine, but Novell doesn't
like it when I try to log in twice from the same ethernet card (i.e. running
dosemu twice and trying to log in both times).

So I put in another ethernet card, and edited Space.c in the linux/drivers/net
directory to handle eth0 and eth1.  I also edited pktdrvr.c in the dosemu
source code to attach to eth1, but it attaches to eth0.  I can configure
eth0 and eth1 using ifconfig, but it appears that eth0 is handling both
addresses.  I check eth1 after it's been configured, and it is receiving
packets, but not transmitting.  From the numbers, it looks like eth0 is
handling all of the traffic.

Has anyone else run into this, and were you able to solve it?  I would like
to eventually put in a total of 4 cards into this box.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

--
|===========================================================================|

|===========================================================================|
|  Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even   |
|  though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits   |
|  who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey    |
|  twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. -- Theodore Roosevelt        |
|===========================================================================|
|  There is no system problem that can't be solved by deleting files and    |
|  removing users. -- B.O.F.H.                                              |
|===========================================================================|

2. LILO on diskette & recompile

3. [Fwd: DHCPD and two ethernet cards]

4. Delete remaining lines below a found string?

5. Please help with dhcpd and 2 ethernet cards

6. Konqueror loses wheel response

7. Novell and SMC ethernet, Problem with 8 bit (wd8003) cards/driver

8. tcsh/ftp problem

9. Network Driver for NOVELL NE/2 Ethernet-Card

10. Novell Superlan2 ethernet card

11. Novell NE3200 Ethernet Card

12. OT: Are Cardbus Fast Ethernet cards REALLY FASTER than PCMCIA Fast Ethernet cards

13. 3COM ethernet card and NE2000 ethernet card