ISP Proxy Help?!

Post by Brian Bernack » Tue, 30 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I appreciate any help on this problem.   I have done a good bit of
research and searching around, but now I'm more confused then ever.
With all the choices...

Anyway, here is my question...  I used to have the following setup:

      ISP (Cable Modem)  <----> eth0 -[Proxy Server PC]- eth1 <---->
-[PC (fake ip)]

So I did have a Win95 system with a proxy server, routing all traffic
from two computers out 1 (of 2) ethernet adapters in the middle PC.
This worked fine.   This is one kink to this system, my cable modem
appears to act a bit like a router.  In will only allow traffic from ONE
ethernet adapter (using the MAC address) , so all IP traffic must end up
out one ethernet adapter.

Now I want to get rid of Windoze complety, and like to do the same thing
with Linux.  Any suggestions?  I have read a ton of different ways to do
it, Proxy, Routing, IP Forwarding....      I'm just not sure where to
start..  Should I recompile my kernel to enable IP-Forwarding?  Has
anyone used Squid, Apache, or proxyrouted-090?    Do you need to have IP
Forwarding on, if I configured my router table would the IP packets
cross network cards?

Thanks, for any help!!!

Brian

1. Help: proxy-ISP

Hi, everybody!

Can anyone tell me how to connect to proxy server of my ISP in linux.
I use
 RedHat linux 3.0.3
 kernel 2.0.0
 ppp 2.0.xf

I can do it in Windoze - just in options of Netscape or in
Control Panel - Internet (I'm using OSR II). Access via
proxy server is much faster.
I have not Netscape for linux (yet) but I'd like to speedup
at least ftp right now.

I've got address of this proxy server and socket.

Thanks in advance!

Andy Rysin

2. cable T.V & EQUIPMENT

3. request help - configuring use of ISP proxy server

4. in.rwhod[23063]: onalrm:can't kstat_read load average

5. ftp client proxy ms proxy firewall http proxy unix

6. gdb stopped working in 2.5.10 - works fine in 2.4.x

7. Newbie Proxy Question Err... help - how do I deny access to a proxy?

8. ports in use

9. configure redhat to work thru isp proxy

10. Connecting to ISP Proxy Server

11. Setting up squid with a proxy only ISP...

12. isp proxy

13. connect to ISP pop3 server using MS proxy?