Linux NFS client and IRIX NFS server

Post by Andrew Hildebran » Fri, 02 Jul 1999 04:00:00

We have been having some problems with the linux NFS client talking to
an IRIX NFS server.

Here is the scenario.  Our developers have SGI boxes on their desktops
and they are editing their code on those boxes.  They also have a Linux
RH5.2 box running 2.2.1 kernel.  When they are done making changes to
their code they save their files and then run make in the Linux box
window.  The Linux box might see the changes to the file in about 30-60
seconds after they save the file.  Our developers are saving their files
to an SGI NFS server.

I tried the following test.

SGI client box A
SGI client box B
Linux client
SGI Server

On SGI client A, I created a file and saved it to SGI server.  I then
tried to cat the file on SGI client B and on Linux client.  SGI client B
was almost instantaneous, and I had to wait for several seconds before
I could cat the file on Linux client

Is there any way to speed this up?   Instead of jacking up the attribute
caching min and max is there a way to force the Linux client to flush
the attribute cache and re-read the directory contents?

Also on a related topic why do we see very little latency on SGI boxes
when talking to the same server when all mount parameters (attribute
caching, etc) are set the same way?

Thanks
-Andrew

1. IRIX NFS server and Linux NFS client

Hi all,

Is there any reason why my Linux NFS client (kernel 2.4.18
nfs-utils-0.3.1-13.7.2.1 from RedHat 7.2) is not able to mount a directory
exported from an IRIX server in NFSv3 (not sure which version of IRIX
yet, if this is important I will find out). NFSv2 works fine, but if I
try to force NFSv3 I get "Connection refused".

I'll appreciate any help.

Regards,
--
  Steffen Persvold   | Scalable Linux Systems |   Try out the world's best

Tel: (+47) 2262 8950 |   Olaf Helsets vei 6   |      - ScaMPI 1.13.8 -
Fax: (+47) 2262 8951 |   N0621 Oslo, NORWAY   | >320MBytes/s and <4uS latency

-

2. Searching for some good C programing tools

3. Need info on PC/NFS and Unix NFS servers, server/client ratio

4. AIXWindows Apps displaying on XFree86?

5. Poor NFS write performance from Linux clients to NFS Ver 3 servers.

6. How to get the name of a host who iniate a telnet session

7. problem with LINUX (NFS server) and Solaris 2.7 (intel ) NFS client.

8. How can I find where .cshrc is ?

9. OS/2 NFS client and Linux NFS Server help needed

10. OS/2 NFS Client and Linux NFS Server?

11. FC/2 NFS Client problem with Linux NFS Server

12. NFS woes: tcsh's internal ls fails on Solaris 2.6 client / IRIX 6.x server

13. nfs: Irix client, DEC server