Network Traffic Management

Post by Alid » Mon, 24 Sep 2001 18:42:39

Hi
I want to manage traffic on my network in fact
I want to change my Linux Box to a Router,
for example, There are some groups(look at them like IP's)
Which i want to use only 30% of my bandwith to internet and
20% for some others and 50% other groups.
is there any way or any package or software which I can
use to change my Linux box to a full feature router!?

Alidad

Network Traffic Management

Post by Grahame Coope » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 01:23:42

Hi,

Have a look at http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Adv-Routing-HOWTO.html. It
has everything you want.

Cheers,

Grahame

> Hi
> I want to manage traffic on my network in fact
> I want to change my Linux Box to a Router,
> for example, There are some groups(look at them like IP's)
> Which i want to use only 30% of my bandwith to internet and
> 20% for some others and 50% other groups.
> is there any way or any package or software which I can
> use to change my Linux box to a full feature router!?

> Alidad

Network Traffic Management

Post by Dean Thompso » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 00:28:15

Hi!,

Quote:> Have a look at http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Adv-Routing-HOWTO.html. It
> has everything you want.

You also might want to take a look at "tc" which comes with the iproute2
package as well.

See ya

Dean Thompson

1. Network blocks randomly (no traffic) network restart makes it work again

Hi,

I have a strange problem with my network. I have two machines 1 Linux Suse
6.1 kernel 2.2.7 and an NT machine. They're connected with Macronix 100 mbit
network card using the tulip 0.91 driver.

Randomly network traffic stops and the only thing I can do is run "network
restart" with the Linux keyboard. (I run both machines on the NT display
using a X-Server). When I hook up a monitor to my Linux machine and ping NT
there are burst of network traffic every 30 seconds or so.

I've noticed that Netscape will cause this lockup quitte often but also
while working with NEdit and Perl the problem appears.

I already downloaded the diagnostics application for the tulip driver and
put it in a cron jobs to probe the status every 5 minutes. But there doesn't
seem to be a problem with the driver.

Disconnecting the cable temporarely doesn't solve the problem either.

Any clues on how to find out what's causing the problem?

Regards,
Willem joosten

2. Wavelan/Orinoco RedHat 7.2

3. Traffic management

4. transparent SOCKS proxy

5. hashing filters and traffic management

6. Segmentation Faults with X

7. traffic management performance problem

8. Newbie router question

9. Network Management and Network Administration.

10. looking for a traffic LAN sniffer, able to archive traffic

11. PPP: Does outgoing traffic slow incoming traffic?

12. Traffic Control traffic unexpectedly dipping

13. setting an interface for up traffic and a second for down traffic