Adding IP-Chains to RH 5.1

Post by mike » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I would like to know how to add IP-Chains to Red Hat Linux 5.1.
I was trying to recompile the kernel which is 2.0.34-0.6 and
there was no choice to add IP-Chains.
  Is the only way to use a newer kernel? And if I do what other
changes do I have to do to my system and how would I do it?

                                        Mike

Adding IP-Chains to RH 5.1

Post by Andy » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I'm not sure if there are ipchain in 5.1....i think its called ipfwadm
that you need to enable.  Also, try turning on the code maturity option,
if off it will hide some development stuff from you....ipchains might be
under devel in that version.

hope that helps
andy

> I would like to know how to add IP-Chains to Red Hat Linux 5.1.
> I was trying to recompile the kernel which is 2.0.34-0.6 and
> there was no choice to add IP-Chains.
>   Is the only way to use a newer kernel? And if I do what other
> changes do I have to do to my system and how would I do it?

>                                         Mike

Adding IP-Chains to RH 5.1

Post by Nicholas Yannakoyorgo » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00

ipchains will only work with later editions of the 2.1 development kernels,
and with 2.2's. The command is obviously not available on RH 5.1, but it
is easily obtainable. If you choose to upgrade the kernel, you will have to
give
up ipfwadm as well.
I upgraded to 2.2.11 and ipchains some months ago, and I have not regretted
it.
The ipchains HOWTO is really worthwile reading, and ipchains is quite easy
use. The HOWTO also includes a section on ipfwadm emulation.
Recompiling the kernel is not difficult: it just takes time. Take a look at
the kernel-HOWTO.

Hope this helps,

Nick

> I'm not sure if there are ipchain in 5.1....i think its called ipfwadm
> that you need to enable.  Also, try turning on the code maturity option,
> if off it will hide some development stuff from you....ipchains might be
> under devel in that version.

> hope that helps
> andy

> > I would like to know how to add IP-Chains to Red Hat Linux 5.1.
> > I was trying to recompile the kernel which is 2.0.34-0.6 and
> > there was no choice to add IP-Chains.
> >   Is the only way to use a newer kernel? And if I do what other
> > changes do I have to do to my system and how would I do it?

> >                                         Mike

Adding IP-Chains to RH 5.1

Post by Scott Simpso » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> I would like to know how to add IP-Chains to Red Hat Linux 5.1.
> I was trying to recompile the kernel which is 2.0.34-0.6 and
> there was no choice to add IP-Chains.
>   Is the only way to use a newer kernel? And if I do what other
> changes do I have to do to my system and how would I do it?

Ipchains isn't available. Ipfwadm is. See
http://home.earthlink.net/~simpson3

Adding IP-Chains to RH 5.1

Post by mike » Sun, 21 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> ipchains will only work with later editions of the 2.1 development kernels,
> and with 2.2's. The command is obviously not available on RH 5.1, but it is
> easily obtainable. If you choose to upgrade the kernel.

      What specifically is involved with upgrading the kernel,
you said that you did it . What is the process and the issues
and the problems after upgrade? Do I just add the new kernel?
or do I have to save all my data and put in all new script files
in /etc and all new utility programs in /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin, and /usr/sbin?
Is it better to get a whole new distribution?
Help! Help!

                                Thanks
                                                Mike

1. Added SCSI card / RH 5.1 / Anything to do?

<newbie alert>

I've just added a SCSI card to my system. It is a Mylex (nee BusLogic)
BT958. At boot time, I still get the message:

scsi : 0

I did not recompile my kernel (RedHat 5.1, 2.0.34-06). I downloaded a new
version of the driver, but have not installed it. It says that I will need
to rebuild my kernel. To the best that I can tell the current kernel has
SCSI as a "module". I do not have any SCSI devices at present. There is a
BusLogic.o file in the correct directory. Is this normal? Do I really need
to recompile the kernel? I will if I really must, but I'm concerned that
I'll wipe myself out. Thanks!

</newbie alert>

John McKown

2. National characters on the screen?

3. Apache: Linux RH 5.1 problems adding mod_perl and php3

4. ThinkPad 760E X help

5. IP forwarding in RH 5.1?

6. FTP problem: no password prompt via proxy server.

7. RH 5.1 - ipfwadm error - ip masq

8. Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (5/7) [Frequent posting]

9. Adding a new client to IP Chains / masquerading ?

10. RH 5.1 IP Aliasing

11. RH 5.1 ip forwarding, routing, ppp problem

12. RH 6.2 and IP chain with 2 interfaces

13. IP-Chains vs. IP-Masquerade