DFE-550TX strangeness - transmit TO OK - transmit FROM no way

DFE-550TX strangeness - transmit TO OK - transmit FROM no way

Post by V-Dat » Tue, 06 Mar 2001 22:39:44

Hi fellow linuxers :)

I decided it was finally time to upgrade my home LAN to 100 Mbps and
from
http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html
it seemed that the DFE-550TX was well supported with the
"sunlance"-driver.

I am running Linux 2.4.2 on my server and Windows 95 on the client.
When I install the DFE-550TX and compile the driver into the kernel, it
seems like all telnet/ssh sessions lock up when more than a few bytes at
a time are written from the computer to the terminal (like en "ls" or
"man ifconfig").

The same happens if I try ftp or even Samba:
I can log on to the SMB-share and browse it. I can even COPY files -
large files - to it - but when I try to READ from the share - it just
hangs and Windows gives me a timeout.

I have tried with another DFE-550TX with the same result.

I have borrowed a 3COM 3C905B-TX form work, and it just works. So I
think there might be something wrong with the sundance.c-driver in 2.4.0
- 2.4.2 (and -ac9 and 2.4.3-pre1) (i haven't tried it under Linux
<2.4.0)

I would like to add that a DFE-550TX I have installed in a Win95-client
works flawlessly (so far).

Am I the only one with this observation?

Best regards
Nikolaj Lyngbye Rasmussen

DFE-550TX strangeness - transmit TO OK - transmit FROM no way

Post by Matt » Sun, 11 Mar 2001 07:55:07

I got it working using the de4x5 driver in redhat 6.2 kernel 2.4.0 (i tried
the via-rhine and realtek as well as a couple others).  maybe try that.

matt

Quote:> Hi fellow linuxers :)

> I decided it was finally time to upgrade my home LAN to 100 Mbps and
> from
> http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html
> it seemed that the DFE-550TX was well supported with the
> "sunlance"-driver.

> I am running Linux 2.4.2 on my server and Windows 95 on the client.
> When I install the DFE-550TX and compile the driver into the kernel, it
> seems like all telnet/ssh sessions lock up when more than a few bytes at
> a time are written from the computer to the terminal (like en "ls" or
> "man ifconfig").

> The same happens if I try ftp or even Samba:
> I can log on to the SMB-share and browse it. I can even COPY files -
> large files - to it - but when I try to READ from the share - it just
> hangs and Windows gives me a timeout.

> I have tried with another DFE-550TX with the same result.

> I have borrowed a 3COM 3C905B-TX form work, and it just works. So I
> think there might be something wrong with the sundance.c-driver in 2.4.0
> - 2.4.2 (and -ac9 and 2.4.3-pre1) (i haven't tried it under Linux
> <2.4.0)

> I would like to add that a DFE-550TX I have installed in a Win95-client
> works flawlessly (so far).

> Am I the only one with this observation?

> Best regards
> Nikolaj Lyngbye Rasmussen

DFE-550TX strangeness - transmit TO OK - transmit FROM no way

Post by Nikolaj Lyngbye Rasmusse » Sun, 11 Mar 2001 22:28:25

Quote:>I got it working using the de4x5 driver in redhat 6.2 kernel 2.4.0 (i tried
>the via-rhine and realtek as well as a couple others).  maybe try that.

Hi Matt

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately I couldn't even get the
de4x5-module to detect the NIC, so I think I just have to sit and wait
for an updated driver.

Are you sure you have succes with the DFE-550TX and not the DFE-530TX
or DFE-538TX or similar?

Anyway, thank you for the reply :)

Best regards
Nikolaj Lyngbye Rasmussen

1. Problems w/ D-link dfe-550tx and Redhat 7

I am trying to get my D-link dfe550-tx to work on a Redhat 7.0 server.
D-link says that the card is Linux compatible, but when I try to compile
the module for the card that they provided it spews about 30 lines of
error messages.  I was wondering if anybody has gotten it to work, if so
what am I doing wrong.  I am thinking that I might be missing a library
or something like that.  If you want to see the error messages let me
know.

Thanks
Roy

2. libc overflow

3. D-Link DFE-550TX

4. driver: ddi_dma_alloc_handle issue

5. D-Link DFE-550TX Ethernet card...supported???

6. Apache dying mysteriously

7. dlink dfe-550tx lockup (kfree_skb passed an skb still on a list)

8. New: btime in /proc/stat wobbles (even over 30 seconds)

9. Driver for D-Link DFE-550TX?

10. D-Link DFE-550tx

11. Linux driver for D-Link DFE-550TX?

12. dlink dfe-550tx lockup (kfree_skb passed an skb still on a list)

13. Possible problems with D-LINK DFE-550TX (stock sundance driver) under 2.4.18