Some ways to get my whole lan on the net with one ip?

Some ways to get my whole lan on the net with one ip?

Post by Lawrence Abra » Sat, 16 Sep 1995 04:00:00

        How can i go about getting my whole lan on the net with only one
official ip?  Would i need to setup proxy or socks?  Someone mentioned
using slirp, but how can you use slirp over ethernet?  Is there a way?

        Now lets say i went out and got myself a domain name and a class c
address.  Could i just assign those addresses to my computers on the lan,
and then dial in using the linux box and have that act as a router?  I
have dynamic ppp with PAP setup right now on my linux box, and I noticed
that it didnt like my default route for the ehternet.  I had to remove the
default route in order to let pppd assign the default route.
Would i need two default routes in this situation, 1 for the ppp and the
other for the ethernet?  How do i set up two default routes?  Using gated
or routed?  Also in this situation would i need to set up a DNS on my
machine in order for the hosts on the net outside my lan to see them?

        Im considering both methods, class c and domain or using the proxy
type programs, and am open to any recommendations.  Thanks in advance.

Some ways to get my whole lan on the net with one ip?

Post by Joel Ka » Sat, 16 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>    Now lets say i went out and got myself a domain name and a class c
>address.  Could i just assign those addresses to my computers on the lan,
>and then dial in using the linux box and have that act as a router?

        You absolutely _can_not_ do this. The rest of the world would
have absolutely no clue where to route incoming packets bound for your
class C. Plus, you have no right to send packets to your ISP with foreign
origin IP addresses, that is, those that they have not authorized you to
send. Providers _charge_ for these services.

--
Joel Katz                   Corporate Web Pages - http://WWW.*Plus.COM
Information on Objectivism, Atheism, the 8031/8051 Microcontrollers, Linux

Post by Jay Pfaffm » Sat, 16 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>    How can i go about getting my whole lan on the net with only one
>official ip?  Would i need to setup proxy or socks?  Someone mentioned
>using slirp, but how can you use slirp over ethernet?  Is there a way?

Yes.  The better way is to get your own class-c (and service provider
who'll route it for you) and run gated on your linux box.  It'll route
packets and everyone will be on the Internet.

If you have only one IP you can compile in the firewall stuff and run
socks.  This works too, has the advantage of "protecting" your machine
from the Internet, but I don't know of a sock's client for Macs.
Winsock does just fine this way.

In either case, if people are doing web surfing, set up a caching http
proxy server.  This will improve *everyone's* performance when going
to pages that have been hit recently.  Also, mac netscape knows how to
talk to a proxy, so you may be able to get by without a socks
compatible macTCP.

I've done this (the socks version) with a 486-66, 16MB RAM, & a 28.8
modem and it worked very well.  Again, if everyone's doing netscape,
you can avoid lots of work by simply setting up a proxy server.
--

+1-615-460-9299                        +1-615-460-9298 (fax/data)

Post by James CE Johns » Sun, 17 Sep 1995 04:00:00

:       How can i go about getting my whole lan on the net with only one
: official ip?  Would i need to setup proxy or socks?  Someone mentioned
: using slirp, but how can you use slirp over ethernet?  Is there a way?

I'm far from being an expert at these things, but from what I understand,
the IP_MASQUERADE functionallity in the newer kernels will allow you do
do this kind of thing.  I don't have the URL handy, but you might check

Hope this helps,

James CE Johnson  (sometimes known as: J, Jay, Paul, hey you)
1995 Chairman of the Lost Mountain Cavers Grotto, Marietta GA
Our Web site is:   http://gateway.lads.com/LostMountainCavers

Post by Didier Belhom » Wed, 20 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>:       How can i go about getting my whole lan on the net with only one
>: official ip?  Would i need to setup proxy or socks?  Someone mentioned
>: using slirp, but how can you use slirp over ethernet?  Is there a way?

>I'm far from being an expert at these things, but from what I understand,
>the IP_MASQUERADE functionallity in the newer kernels will allow you do
>do this kind of thing.  I don't have the URL handy, but you might check

Yes, IP_MASQUERADE works well for it. Nothing would change on the ISP side,
and in fact I'm currently posting this from a Windows PC connected by Ethernet
to a Linux box connected by a SLIP line to the Internet.

There are two main drawbacks :

1. The only supported protocol is TCP. No UDP, thus Ping and NFS won't work.

2. You cannot (er, that's it : I didn't manage to) place a name server on the
   Linux box that would forward the request on the Internet. Thus, you'll
   have to refer your local machines by IP numbers rather than name.

You can make FTP work by indicating "Passive mode" in its configuration.
WS_FTP works fine for me.

>Hope this helps,

>James CE Johnson  (sometimes known as: J, Jay, Paul, hey you)
>1995 Chairman of the Lost Mountain Cavers Grotto, Marietta GA
>Our Web site is:   http://gateway.lads.com/LostMountainCavers

Hope this helps,

--
Didier Belhomme

1. can one ip on one nic be shared over lan

current situation:

iv got my cable modem on the uplink port of my switching hub
with 4 systems
1.linux box cable ip #1 (one nic)
2.win2k box cable ip #2 (one nic)
3.3rd box
4.4th box

is it possible to share the connection from the linux box to the other 2
computers on the lan?

thanks in advance

2. Application Launchers in FVWM

3. 2 ip #'s, one net, one machine?

4. Problems with mkraid

5. IP-Forwarding PPP-LAN but not LAN-LAN

6. dynamic linker question

7. Getting my LAN onto the NET!

8. SLAKWARE ConfigFX86 ????

9. Help getting on the Net via Lan required

10. moving Linux, as a whole, from one HD to a new one

11. Use 8 IP as a subnet to the whole 16 ip network

12. IP address is not getting assigned if I plugin the LAN cable after machine bootsup

13. one static ip, multisystem lan, want to use other systems for services