Please Recommend Good Linux Books Talking as much and thoroughly as possible

Post by ral » Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:42:34

> Hello

> I have been using Linux for quite a while and I am trying to learn as much
> as possible by reading books.

> I would like to read complete books not just covering one linux distro but
> common things in all of them that probably were carried over from unix. By
> this I mean not mainly unix but materials that will make be capable of
> dealing with almost any distro.

> I would like the books to include one of the following:

>    1- Linux & Unix Commands(Specially those that are very useful).
>    2- Linux Networking & Firewall(Iptables).
>    3- Backing up.
>    4- Setup Important applications(Samba,Apache,Postfix or any MTA,etc).
>    5- Scripting(Awk, Sed, Perl).
>    6- Kernel Compiling & Hacking.
>    7- Linux Security.
>    8- NFS
>    9- NIS
>    10-SNMP & Network Centralized Managment.
>    11- Anything I missed that helps for the Certification and would prepare
>    m to help other persons in these groups.

> I have Running Linux 3rd edition, Linux in a nutshell. I would like to
> hear about the best of the best.

<snip>

Do a google search for "rute" (pronounced root)

Please Recommend Good Linux Books Talking as much and thoroughly as possible

Post by Bria » Sun, 17 Oct 2004 07:35:06

I'm no linux expert, but I've been in heavy training for a few months and
found the "Linux Administration Handbook":
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0130084662/qid=1097879514/sr=2...

to be very helpful.

For more, just checkout amazon. There's plenty of people there ready to tell
you what to read.

Brian.

Post by Alan Conno » Sun, 17 Oct 2004 10:05:38

> Hello

> I have been using Linux for quite a while and I am trying to learn as much
> as possible by reading books.

Download this, and study the first 9 chapters or so:

http://rute.2038bug.com/rute.html.tar.bz2

See the HOWTOS at http://www.tldp.org

(You can download *all* of them in a tarball too. Very handy.)

"Learning the bash Shell" 2nd Edition,  OREILLY

You already have "Running Linux", but should probably upgrade
to the 4th edition.

HTH,

AC

Post by T » Sun, 17 Oct 2004 18:07:41

> I have been using Linux for quite a while and I am trying to learn as much
> as possible by reading books.

I can't imagine learning much about all those things from books or any
kind of "certification" program, though the advantage of certification
is that you get to give money to otherwise unemployable people --
always a karmic plus. The best (only) way to really learn this stuff
is to do it, preferably because you have no choice. That way your
knowledge will grow in an organic "need to know" way, rather than
trying to get a vague overview of everything.

That said, whenever I have to get into something new, I usually start
with either the package documentation itself (a lot of open source
projects have pretty good documentation on their web sites), RFCs, the
occasional O'Reilly book, and best (or worst) of all, source code. The
only books I refer to with any regularity are Stevens's "Unix Network
Programming," an ancient edition of "Programming Perl" (though perldoc
is usually just fine), and Curry's "Unix Systems Programming for
SVR4." If you want Unix background, try Vahalla's "Unix Internals."
Generally stuff in the Linux world changes so fast that books can't
keep up, anyway. The net is your second-best resource. The best is
trial and error.

Tim

Post by Retl » Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:01:14

> > I have been using Linux for quite a while and I am trying to learn as much
> > as possible by reading books.

> I can't imagine learning much about all those things from books or any
> kind of "certification" program,

I agree with Tim's comment, for slightly different reasons. "Linux" is
a big subject, and however much you learn, you will remember only what
you use. What do you want to do? Set up a NAT firewall? Rip/burn DVDs?
Set up a Samba server? Advise a Windows user which apps to use as
replacements for Office? I doubt that there is anyone on earth who
knows everything about all the stuff that comes with a typical Linux
distro.
The books you have already got and the URLs in this thread are more
than enough to get you started. Beyond that, search the web for your
specific needs.

Please Recommend Good Linux Books Talking as much and thoroughly as possible

Post by Bruce Coryel » Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:16:17

If you're using one of the Red Hat derivatives (Fedora, White Box, Pink
Tie, etc.) or even RH itself,  you can't go wrong with a book entitled
Beginner's Guide to Red Hat System Administration - clearest covering of
these topics I know about.

Post by moo » Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:56:47

>> I have been using Linux for quite a while and I am trying to learn as much
>> as possible by reading books.

<snip>

All good suggestions, another you may find usefull is LASG by
Kurt Seifried (http://www.seifried.org/lasg/)

No doubt experience is the best teacher, one project which helped me in my
initial learning was setting up a linux gateway/router, also there are
some excellent howto's you should read like:
Unix-and-Internet-Fundamentals
Net-HOWTO
Adv-Routing-HOWTO

Most distro's have a howto collection and they could very well be sitting
on your hard drive now ;-)
/usr/doc/howto/text on mine anyway.

--
http://www.lucidit.co.nz/

1. Please Recommend Good Linux Books Talking as much and thoroughly as possible

[...]

2. NFS Authentication.

3. please recommend good books on linux

4. beginner sed question

5. Can anyone recommend a good Linux book?

6. Non-NAT ipchains killing FTP transfers

7. Can you recommend a good Linux book?

8. Need htaccess.so for IRIX

9. Can you recommend any good book on linux ?

10. Can you recommend a good Linux book?

11. Recommend good Linux book?

12. recommend a good and recent linux security book?