PROBLEM: Modem hangsup when using dip/ppd when lagged

PROBLEM: Modem hangsup when using dip/ppd when lagged

Post by Ian Sheld » Sun, 15 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Hello!  Several of my linux friends and I are
having problems with dip/pppd.   I don't understand modems
very well, so please excuse the non-technical description!

I am using kernel version 1.2.13, dip V3.3.7n-uri (17 Apr 95)
and pppd version 2.1PL2.
When I reboot, it displays:
PPP: version  0.2.7 (4 channels) NEW_TTY_DRIVERS OPTIMIZE_FLAGS
PPP line discipline registered.

Basically, when I am connected, the modem hangsup at random
periods of time (i.e. sometimes I can be connected for half-hour
without it* up, at other times I'm connected for only
one minute before it hangsup!)    It makes no difference what
I am doing  (whether talking, reading news, netscaping, or whatever).

Also, it seems to take three seconds for it to hangup, so,
for example, if I'm typing, my characters aren't echoed
(as if I was suffering from lag), and then, three seconds
later the modem hangsup.

My modem is internal, and I've issued an AT&F to reset it to
factory defaults, but it still hangsup.  I've also tried
dip -vt to set up a SLIP connection and pppd in case my pppd
options were wrong.

Any ideas?  I think, maybe, there's some option to say
``if you don't receive a packet in three seconds, the other
side has hungup so hangup'', but can't find any details in
my (rather crap) manual!

Any help appreciated as it's most annoying!

Thanks in advance,
        Ian.

--

1. PAP with Dip or PPD. Which is best?

I have an internet isdn account that uses the PAP login scheme.  Does dip
support this?  What about PPPD?  Does anyone have a sample script for
either of  these using PAP?
  Also do you need a driver for isdn modems, or can i just use it as if it
was a modem?
        Last question is does PPPD come with linux.  Ive installed the N
diskset but cant find pppd.  If it does come with it, where is it located?
Thanks in advance.

2. recompile distribution & modules make errors at boot time

3. Weird network problem - Second NIC lags terribly when first NIC uses a gateway - Help...?

4. Chipset for Ahead V5000 Video Card in Xconfig?

5. DIP: dip -k leaves modem in funny state?

6. (no subject)

7. Can't use my modem after using dip

8. SMC2652W AP running linux

9. Connection speed of modem using dip

10. ProbProblem with modem under linux using DIP

11. help with using dip over a null modem

12. Modem in weird mode after using DIP

13. exiting modem connection after using dip (the dialup IP program)