Assigning virtual Interfaces to Debian 5

Assigning virtual Interfaces to Debian 5

Post by The Doct » Wed, 25 Mar 2009 23:38:31

Finally got Debian 5 to behave.

Only 2 issues now:

how to set up a virtual interface

and

How to make certain resolv.conf is not erased on a reboot.

What has chaged from Debian 4 to Debian 5?
--

Never Satan President Republic!
Point to http://tv.cityonahillproductions.com/

Assigning virtual Interfaces to Debian 5

Post by Bill Marcu » Thu, 26 Mar 2009 01:28:24

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.setup.]

Quote:

> Finally got Debian 5 to behave.

> Only 2 issues now:

> how to set up a virtual interface

> and

> How to make certain resolv.conf is not erased on a reboot.

Uninstall the resolvconf package, or learn how to set its defaults.

Quote:

Release notes should be available at debian.org.

Assigning virtual Interfaces to Debian 5

Post by Chris Davie » Thu, 26 Mar 2009 01:23:58

Quote:> how to set up a virtual interface
> How to make certain resolv.conf is not erased on a reboot.

Are you (now) using NetworkManager, or are you using
/etc/network/interfaces to define network configuration?

If it's NetworkManager I can't help you. Otherwise I'll have a go.
Chris

Post by The Doct » Thu, 26 Mar 2009 04:00:31

>> how to set up a virtual interface
>> How to make certain resolv.conf is not erased on a reboot.

>Are you (now) using NetworkManager, or are you using
>/etc/network/interfaces to define network configuration?

>If it's NetworkManager I can't help you. Otherwise I'll have a go.
>Chris

/etc/network/interfaces
--

Post by Chris Davie » Thu, 26 Mar 2009 06:16:00

Quote:> how to set up a virtual interface
> How to make certain resolv.conf is not erased on a reboot.
> [this is using] /etc/network/interfaces

OK.

1. Create a vIF by naming it in the same way that you would for eth0 or
wlan0, etc. Here's a line from a firewall I look after:

    auto eth1:5
    iface eth1:5 inet static
        address 10.1.30.190
        netmask 255.255.255.224
        broadcast 10.1.30.191

After that it "just works". Or did you mean that you wanted a TUN/TAP
interface, or a Bridge? You can invent these by using the pre-up and up
lines for your required interface.

2. Leaving resolv.conf alone

    *   Have you removed the resolvconf package?

    *   If you're using ppp* have you told it to leave your resolv.conf alone?

    *   If you're using dhclient, try this:
        echo 'make_resolv_conf () { return 0; }' > /etc/dhcp3/dhclient-enter-hooks.d/local

Chris

Post by The Doct » Thu, 26 Mar 2009 09:07:51

>> how to set up a virtual interface
>> How to make certain resolv.conf is not erased on a reboot.

>> [this is using] /etc/network/interfaces

>OK.

>1. Create a vIF by naming it in the same way that you would for eth0 or
>wlan0, etc. Here's a line from a firewall I look after:

>    auto eth1:5
>    iface eth1:5 inet static
>    address 10.1.30.190
>    netmask 255.255.255.224
>    broadcast 10.1.30.191

>After that it "just works". Or did you mean that you wanted a TUN/TAP
>interface, or a Bridge? You can invent these by using the pre-up and up
>lines for your required interface.

NO TUN interface or bridge.

Let me try the above.

Quote:

>2. Leaving resolv.conf alone

>    *       Have you removed the resolvconf package?

>    *       If you're using ppp* have you told it to leave your resolv.conf alone?

All right, let me look at that.

Quote:>    *       If you're using dhclient, try this:

--

Never Satan President Republic!
Point to http://tv.cityonahillproductions.com/

1. Assigning IP to virtual network interface under chroot() jail.

Hi,

My server comes with 5 IPs, and I want to use one of these IPs inside a
chroot() jail. Actually, I'll be very happy if the system "behind" the
chroot() jail won't know about the existance of this IP address.

The purpose of all of this is to run 2 identical services (e.g. 2
APACHEs, 2 SSHDs, etc..) on the same port, on different IPs, but on the
same server. One will run from inside the chroot() jail, and the other
one will run from an other chroot() jail, or maybe from the main
server.

Is there any possible way of doing that?

I'm running Debian Sarge using a 2.6 686 kernel.

Thanks a lot!

Ofer Shaked.

2. Help with Sendmail, problem with outgoing mail

3. virtual interfaces on a debian system?

4. "Dream" Linux System

5. Virtual interface/Virtual web hosting

6. Ports blocking

7. Virtual Host/Virtual Interface for NSCA HTTPD 1.5

8. linux, toshiba, pcmcia cd?

9. one physical interface, 3 virtual interfaces, and inetd

10. How to assign a IP address range to an interface ?

11. Command for assigning IPv6 address and MAC address on the interface

12. Assigning a default interface

13. Multiple DHCP-assigned IPs on a single physical interface?