Getting Mail From Muliple POP Accounts

Post by Marty Albe » Thu, 10 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hello again!

Here is what I want to do...

I want to use popclient (or ????) to be able to go to several pop
servers to get mail and download it to the local Linux box.

That, in and of itself, is not a problem... I have run popclient from
the command line and I assume that I could just put multiple entries
into the cron system to do however many I need to do.

The problem is that popclient can't seem to find the local mail boxes.

I get an error that there is no such file or directory.

I created a user with the correct username, but still no joy.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

Interested in Amateur Radio?
http://www.trucom.com/ppages/marty
HAmPS Coordinator
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/7067

Post by Dmitry Yaitsko » Fri, 11 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> I want to use popclient (or ????) to be able to go to several pop
> servers to get mail and download it to the local Linux box.

> That, in and of itself, is not a problem... I have run popclient from
> the command line and I assume that I could just put multiple entries
> into the cron system to do however many I need to do.

> The problem is that popclient can't seem to find the local mail boxes.

> I get an error that there is no such file or directory.

> I created a user with the correct username, but still no joy.

> Any suggestions are appreciated!

fetchmail I think is the program that superceded popclient. It is very
easy to set up. One of its nice features is that is delivers mail to
your smtp port - so your mail gets delivered using your standard mta
(sendmail or smail or qmail...) - so it doesn't need to look for your
local mailboxes - one headache less. It is easy to setup fetchmail to
pull mail from multiple mailboxes. Also, it can run in daemon mode,
periodically checking your mail. Check it out.

--
Cheers,
 -Dima.

Be a better psychiatrist and the world will beat a psychopath to your
door.

Post by Marty Albe » Fri, 11 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>fetchmail I think is the program that superceded popclient. It is very
>easy to set up. One of its nice features is that is delivers mail to
>your smtp port - so your mail gets delivered using your standard mta
>(sendmail or smail or qmail...) - so it doesn't need to look for your
>local mailboxes - one headache less. It is easy to setup fetchmail to
>pull mail from multiple mailboxes. Also, it can run in daemon mode,
>periodically checking your mail. Check it out.

Ah! OK... I downloaded fetchmail 4.0.0 and it sure looks like it will be
easier to set up and do a better job for what I need than popclient
would have done!

Now all I have to do is get the various config files written and in the
right places!

Many thanks for your help and information!

Take Care

Interested in Amateur Radio?
http://www.trucom.com/ppages/marty
HAmPS Coordinator
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/7067

Getting Mail From Muliple POP Accounts

Post by Wesle » Sat, 12 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I think that you might find that the latest popclient actually does the
things fetchmail did +.  If you are on a dynamic IP {eg usual dial-up}
then popclient comes highly recommended.  Sendmail for one really
doesn't like dynamic IP at all so delivereing to port 25 can be a *.

Wes

--
   Planet Online Ltd.     http://www.veryComputer.com/      Full Coverage
Team

 "Sorry but I can only allow you to blame me for the content of this
message."

Post by Marty Albe » Sun, 13 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>I think that you might find that the latest popclient actually does the
>things fetchmail did +.  If you are on a dynamic IP {eg usual dial-up}
>then popclient comes highly recommended.  Sendmail for one really
>doesn't like dynamic IP at all so delivereing to port 25 can be a *.

>Wes

OK, I want to first thank everyone who replied and I have downloaded
fetchmail and got it installed and it seems to work just fine. The setup
was much easier than for popclient!

Now, I think I need to clarify what I want to be able to do...

I have two local users who have accounts on Geocities (I'll call them
Jim and Bob) so their Internet E-Mail addresses are:

I can, with fetchmail, connect to the Geocities POP3 client
(mail.geocities.com) and by sending the appropriate username and
passwords, fetchmail downloads their mail and deletes it from Geocities
just fine. This is where the problems begin...

All of their mail ends up going to root on this system. I tried putting
an entry in the aliases file as:

but the newaliases command told me that I can't have remote addresses in
the aliases file. I then tried just:

   jim: jim

and nothing happened at all... At least newaliases didn't throw a fit!

(note that I tried the same for bob, with the effects)

So, what I need to do is get the mail from Geocities (can do that) and
put it in the correct local mailboxes.

Help!

Take Care

Interested in Amateur Radio?
http://www.veryComputer.com/
HAmPS Coordinator
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Getting Mail From Muliple POP Accounts

Post by Patrick Colbec » Sat, 19 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hi

What you are trying to do is possible. Sendmail isn't the problem.
You need to tell fetchmail who the local equivalents for the pop3 accounts
are using a fetchmailrc eg:

poll mail.service.provider.com  protocol pop3
        user fred.smith there has password hello1 is fsmith here;
        user james.brown there has password hello2 is jbrown here;

This will pull pop3 mail for fred.smith and james.brown and deliver is to the
local users fsmith and jbrown.

What you will need to use the userdb of sendmail for is the reverse operation
ie replacing jbrown in the from field of outgoing messages with james.brown.

Pat

Getting Mail From Muliple POP Accounts

Post by Todd Paffor » Wed, 30 Jul 1997 04:00:00

[snip]

> OK, I want to first thank everyone who replied and I have downloaded
> fetchmail and got it installed and it seems to work just fine. The setup
> was much easier than for popclient!

> Now, I think I need to clarify what I want to be able to do...

> I have two local users who have accounts on Geocities (I'll call them
> Jim and Bob) so their Internet E-Mail addresses are:

> I can, with fetchmail, connect to the Geocities POP3 client
> (mail.geocities.com) and by sending the appropriate username and
> passwords, fetchmail downloads their mail and deletes it from Geocities
> just fine. This is where the problems begin...

> All of their mail ends up going to root on this system. I tried putting
> an entry in the aliases file as:

[snip]

Apparently, you don't need to use the aliases file at all.  in your
~/.fetchmailrc file, you can use lines like this:

poll pop.isp.com with protocol POP3:
        user Joe there with password SuperSecret is JoeCool here
        user Bill there with password Boo! is SuperBill here

This should call up the mythological pop.isp.com and check each of the
users' (Joe and Bill) mailboxes and deliver the mail to their proper
names on the local machine (JoeCool and SuperBill).  I haven't tested it
with multiple users, but as I understand from the man pages this is how
it should work.  I do use it for one user (myself) with different names
on the two machines and it works like a charm. :)

Note that the ~/.fetchmailrc file needs to be in the home dir of
whatever user fetchmail is running as.  In other words, if you're just
typing fetchmail at the command line it can be in your home dir, but if
you're calling fetchmail from /etc/ppp/ip-up or as a deamon from a rc
file, .fetchmailrc should be in root's home dir.

Hope this helps,
Todd Pafford

1. Newbie: POP account news/mail readers

I'm considering to switching to linux on my next computer, coming
shortly.  I currently do not have a POP account, because all Windows
newsreaders and mail programs suck compared to the unix trn and elm I
get with my shell account.  (Been on the net 12 years, had a POP
account only two of those years, gave it up.  Wasn't worth the extra
money, since I can read Sluggy at work ...)

What I'm wondering is: if I get linux, can I get a POP account and
still use trn and elm AND use Netscape to read my daily dose of the
Sluggy Freelance online comic (www.sluggy.com)?

 -Steffan O'Sullivan  |

   Chapel Hill, NC    |  remember tomorrow."
    www.io.com/~sos   |                          -Daniel M. Pinkwater

2. IP Spoofing from inside own network.

3. Help: Fetching all mail for a domain from one pop account on ISP

4. Getting back freed space on my FAT table

5. POP mail without accounts

6. Veritas question

7. Longer POP mail account names ?

9. Mail grief.......checking pop accounts....

10. Downloading POP mail into a Linux account?

11. more than one PoP - Mail Account ....

12. Virtual Pop Mail Account Troubles

13. configuring internal mailing with a single POP account