Two NIS domains,one superset of the other

Two NIS domains,one superset of the other

Post by Fran L » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00

We have done something similar, but did not need to use two
domains -- we implemented netgroups instead.  You'll need to
define groups in /etc/netgroups, and in the /etc/passwd file
of each machine, you define which netgroup that you wish to have
access.

Sample entries --
---
In /etc/netgroup:
restrictedgroup (,user1,) (,user2,) (,user3,)
---

+:*:::::/etc/NoShell
+:
---

The 2nd last line in /etc/passwd indicates that everyone not in

allow user1, user2, user3 access.

It works for us.

Fran Lawas-Grodek
(remove "**" to reply)

Frances J. Lawas-Grodek       |
NASA Glenn Research Center    |     phone: (216) 433-5052
21000 Brookpark Rd, MS 142-2  |     fax  : (216) 433-8000

1. Two NIS domains,one superset of the other

Hi,

Is it possible to have two nis domains in a network
where one domain members can login to all machines while the
members of the other domain can login to only a
few machines.

Suresh
Suresh Kumar.R
Lecturer
Dept of Electronics & Communication
College of Engineering
Trivandrum - 695 016
INDIA

2. ***HOW TO WRITE A DISCRIPTION FILE FOR LPR***

3. How to have 2 component NIS+ domain emulate one component NIS domain?

4. Need help with UNIX TALK protocol

5. Multiple NIS domains served from one NIS Master server?

6. Help with some daemons

7. Tough one: two accts & domains, one box

8. recommend PC system for Solaris x86 2.4

9. NIS+ Sub-Domain client: should it be a member of the master domain AND sub-domain?

10. Serving a second NIS domain under DU 4

11. NIS+; serving more than one domain from a single machine

12. One component NIS+ domain

13. Multiple NIS Domains on one LAN - how?