MX cannot relay mail to a particular SMTP AUTH server

Post by gaius.petroni » Thu, 18 Jul 2002 18:22:41

MX cannot relay mail to a particular SMTP AUTH server

now that i have smtp auth running on 8.12, i have discovered a new
problem for 1 particular address

the MX (server1) handles the domain
the SMTP AUTH (server2) handles roaming users' smtp

it so happens that on server1 i have an alias for my address which
points to server2

this is also how i relay all root account mail

the alias is like
rut:  root

the messages i am getting on the MX (server1) now are

pri=30231, relay=dns1.sunly.com., dsn=5.0.0, stat=Service unavailable

this never used to happen

i looked on a client and the returned mail message is 553
authetication required

so now i have another problem
perhaps there is more than one way to handle it

i *need* the mail to go there
i *need* the machine to enforce smtp authentication for users

i tried various gymnastics through the access.db but no go

slide past the authentication process.

if not, what must i enable on the MX *only* for this particular
address relay

1. relaying mail between smtp servers and auth

Hello
        Let's assume that server A has postfix with authorization (Cyrus SASL).
Server B has postfix without auth.
User UA has account on A (and use smtp A).
User UB has account on B (and use smtp B).
User UB sends mail to UA. How is it possible that server A with auth
accepted mail to UA from server B ? (what login/password server B gave?).
How the A knows that this was server B sending message to user on server A ?
It is possible that A (with auth) will accept any mail to it's own users
  (you do not need to give login/password) ??
So in what cases do we use that authentication ?
(when i try to relay mail only??)

Thanx

2. HowTo dhcpd to local DynamicDNS

3. Adding SMTP AUTH (+SSL) to any mail server

4. Do I need to replace My PNP modem to install Caldera 1.3 correctly

5. mail (pop3 + smtp) server using ODBC connections for user & auth info?

6. Reco a good AGP card

7. 550 relaying denied: How to get SMTP auth. for friends

8. PCI modem

9. Help: Eudora mail application cannot connect with POP3 and SMTP server

10. Need a Backup Mail Relay (MX Record)

11. SMTP AUTH NOW RUNNING, CLIENT CANNOT BE AUTHENTICATED?

12. Any Console Mail Client with POP3 and SMTP-auth supported??

13. MMDF SMTP fails to deliver mail in @relay:user@host format