uugetty respawning..solved

Post by Michael Lancast » Tue, 25 Feb 1997 04:00:00

        I'm posting this in the event it drives (or has been driving)
someone else nuts.  It took three days, but I figured it out.
        I tried setting up a dialin server eventually for a PPP server.  The
PPP part is not setup yet, but uugetty finally works correctly.  After
tweaking all the configuration files about two dozen times, uugetty would
still continuely die and respawn.  If you've seen it, that annoying "uugetty
respawning too fast, waiting five minutes."  Once I turned on the debugging
information and was able to catch the spoo across my screen, I saw that is
was a segmentation fault.  It occured while reading the '/etc/gettydefs'
file.  So I shorted the file by taking out anything I didn't need.  Sure
enough, the next time I 'init q' it worked fine.  There anyone who uses this
can email me a thank you.

--

        Graduate Assistant in Computer Science Department
          at the University of Illinois at Springfield

Michael J. Lancaster
401 University Court West
Springfield, IL 62703

apt ph:  (217)529-9631
off ph:  (217)786-7385

        "Try not.  Do or Do not.  There is no try."   -- Master Yoda

uugetty respawning..solved

Post by Peter Bollerm » Thu, 27 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>    I'm posting this in the event it drives (or has been driving)
>someone else nuts.  It took three days, but I figured it out.
>information and was able to catch the spoo across my screen, I saw that is
>was a segmentation fault.  It occured while reading the '/etc/gettydefs'
>file.  So I shorted the file by taking out anything I didn't need.  Sure
>enough, the next time I 'init q' it worked fine.  There anyone who uses this
>can email me a thank you.

I'm not altogether sure about this, since I had exactly
the same problem and solved it in a completely different way.
My problem could be traced by the fact that (uu)getty was linked
with ncurses as a termcap replacement. The source of getty_ps
declares a symbol "clear" which causes a conflict with the
"clear" defined in ncurses, hence causing a segmentation fault.
When this is the case then gcc (ar rather "ld") complains about
it during the linking stage.
The problem went a way when I replaced all occurences of "clear"
into "myclear".

Just to be on the safe side, check whether your getty is linked
against ncurses. It could be that you removed all the
conditions from /etc/gettydefs which causes uugetty to call on
"clear".

BTW. I reported this (twice now) to the maintainer, but he doesn't
reply. Anybody out there?????

Good luck
  Peter

1. uugetty respawning

I am using AT&T 386 Unix 3.1.  When cu and uucp use the modem, they respawn
uugetty.  When Pcomm 1.2 uses the modem, it does not respawn uugetty, and
the next time someone tries to log in, they get a connect but no login prompt.

To fix this, I currently run pcomm from a script, which also calls
another script with set-uid to root and which executes:

UUPID=`/bin/ps -ef |\
        /bin/grep " *root.*uugetty[^x]*$" | \
        /bin/sed 's/^.*root *\([0-9]*\).*$/\1/'`
if [ "$UUPID" -gt "1" ]
        then    /bin/kill $UUPID
fi

... which kills the uugetty ( I only have one uugetty running) and respawns.
Obviously, this is a kludge.

Does anyone know how cu and uucp respawn the uugetty properly, so I may add
this to the pcomm source.  (BTW, is there a more recent pcomm than 1.2).

2. Modem Configuration NEED HELP

3. Respawning uugetty

4. hard drives

5. uugetty & respawning too fast

6. Korn Shell - Unknow aliases in subprocesses

7. uugetty respawns too quickly and dies. Why?

8. Bell Sympatico HSE

9. uugetty constantly respawning

10. uugetty respawning to fast if modem turned off

11. UUGETTY respawning too rapidly?

12. INIT respawn uugetty too fast!!!!

13. Using DIP with uugetty respawning?