I'm posting this in the event it drives (or has been driving)
someone else nuts. It took three days, but I figured it out.
I tried setting up a dialin server eventually for a PPP server. The
PPP part is not setup yet, but uugetty finally works correctly. After
tweaking all the configuration files about two dozen times, uugetty would
still continuely die and respawn. If you've seen it, that annoying "uugetty
respawning too fast, waiting five minutes." Once I turned on the debugging
information and was able to catch the spoo across my screen, I saw that is
was a segmentation fault. It occured while reading the '/etc/gettydefs'
file. So I shorted the file by taking out anything I didn't need. Sure
enough, the next time I 'init q' it worked fine. There anyone who uses this
can email me a thank you.
Graduate Assistant in Computer Science Department
at the University of Illinois at Springfield
Michael J. Lancaster
401 University Court West
Springfield, IL 62703
apt ph: (217)529-9631
off ph: (217)786-7385
"Try not. Do or Do not. There is no try." -- Master Yoda