DHCP, Dynamic IP, Cable modems, Linux and you!

DHCP, Dynamic IP, Cable modems, Linux and you!

Post by Ala » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I had asked for some help earlier on a cable modem setup, and,
having now gone through the ordeal (not really) myself, I thought I'd
share some results (if you have PPP running off a DHCP server, this will
probably work for you too).
Background:  I just got a cable modem (Lancity single user, see
www.lancity.com) installed and access (through highway1.com) to the net
at 1.3M/s.  They (highway1) give you plenty of Win95 support, but they
won't touch linux.
Problem:  The network uses Dynamip IP addressing.  They do this by
having your (client) computer probe their (server) computer's DHCP
server to obtain a new address every time the modem reboots (which really
shouldn't happen except for power outages, etc...).
Solution:  In Win95, all you need to do is run winipcfg.  However,
Linux distributions do not come with dhcp built in.
All you need to do is find out a little about DHCP, what it does and
how it works:
"http://web.syr.edu/~jmwobus/comfaqs/dhcp.faq.html" is the URL for the
DHCP FAQ.
Then, once you're familiar with it, download the DHCP protocal client
daemon.  Someone had posted it as being in incoming at sunsite,
but by the time I got there it had already been moved.  in URL
form, it's now at:
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/Network/daemons/dhcpcd-0.4.tar.gz
download, read the README, compile and put it in tyour rc.d startup file
of preference and you should be off.  works like a beauty.

thanks to all those who helped me.
-alan

---------

                      http://www.bluesky.net/~chekov/

1. cable modem dynamic ip

I have a cable mdoem with a dynamic ip address. I have been setting it up
like a static ip. the problem is that when the power goes out or the coax
cable is unscrewed from the wall I loose that ip.

My question is : what is the correct way to set up a cable modem on a
dynamic ip cable modems are new and the Complete FreeBSD was too early for
any info on cable modems... Any help would be apreciated...
Thanks   P.K. Krug

2. at daemon not executing tkl program

3. cable modem and dynamic IP

4. ps hangs (Part 2)

5. Cable modem dynamic IP

6. help - problem with wu-ftpd configuration

7. Cable Modem w/dynamic IP

8. Movie Machine pro/ new driver

9. Cable Modem (Dynamic IP) & domain name.

10. cable modem and dynamic IP

11. Cannot get DHCP IP from cable modem

12. RH 7.2, DHCP, LPD and IP Address Cable Modem Problem

13. Cable Modem, DHCP and IP Tables