eth0 fun!

Post by Steve » Tue, 05 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

So, here's some orienting facts:

dual boot machine with win98 on one drive, redhat 5.2 on the other drive
(aka, the drive in question.)

over the weekend I took out the Intel AL440LX motherboard and the PII266
and put in an ABIT BH6 Motherboard and a PII400.

Though I hate to admit it, winblows98 plugNpray handled everything fine.

Linux is pretending to handle everything fine, but actually isn't
talking to the ethernet card (3com etherlink III, ISA, 10baseT - for my
sdsl connection.)
The card works fine in windows (gasp!)

On Linux, The ethercard is showing up correctly in the bootlog, no
reported errors, irq's etc are correct.  I changed no networking files
of any kind.  All are as correct as they were when things were working
fine on the old board (I reread them all to double check)

I've been through a ton of troubleshooting already. (just ask me to post
some details or file contents if you think you have an idea of the
problem and need to see them to be sure, didn't post them here because
I've have to write it all down by hand and type it in.  archaic.)

but alas, I can't ping anything.  Not the other machine on my LAN, not
the gateway machine at my isp, not the ns machine, nothing on the 'net,
neither using ip addresses or server names.  no 'unknown host' errors,
just blank silence.

Any ideas of what to try would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance,
~Steven

(p.s.  if you can connect to <a
href="http://artemis.shults.org">http://artemis.shults.org</a>, then
I've probably solved it.  if you can't, I still need help, thanks.)

eth0 fun!

Post by Steve » Tue, 05 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Found another oddity which I can't find documentation for, hope this
gives someone an idea of what I should do:

if I run:

-# /etc/rc.d/init.d/network status
(remember, we're in red hat here)

I get:

"network dead but subsys locked"

If I run

-# /etc/rc.d/init.d/network start

or /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart

and then run

network status

again, I still get "network dead, but subsys locked"

So, anyone know any commands to run or edits needed to make the network
"live" and/or to unlock the "subsys?"

as mentioned in the previous post, all the host and dns files hold
accurate info which was working fine before I swapped the motherboard.

Thanks in advance for any helpful hints,
~Steven

> Hi,

> So, here's some orienting facts:

> dual boot machine with win98 on one drive, redhat 5.2 on the other drive
> (aka, the drive in question.)

> over the weekend I took out the Intel AL440LX motherboard and the PII266
> and put in an ABIT BH6 Motherboard and a PII400.

> Though I hate to admit it, winblows98 plugNpray handled everything fine.

> Linux is pretending to handle everything fine, but actually isn't
> talking to the ethernet card (3com etherlink III, ISA, 10baseT - for my
> sdsl connection.)
> The card works fine in windows (gasp!)

> On Linux, The ethercard is showing up correctly in the bootlog, no
> reported errors, irq's etc are correct.  I changed no networking files
> of any kind.  All are as correct as they were when things were working
> fine on the old board (I reread them all to double check)

> I've been through a ton of troubleshooting already. (just ask me to post
> some details or file contents if you think you have an idea of the
> problem and need to see them to be sure, didn't post them here because
> I've have to write it all down by hand and type it in.  archaic.)

> but alas, I can't ping anything.  Not the other machine on my LAN, not
> the gateway machine at my isp, not the ns machine, nothing on the 'net,
> neither using ip addresses or server names.  no 'unknown host' errors,
> just blank silence.

> Any ideas of what to try would be much appreciated.

> thanks in advance,
> ~Steven

> (p.s.  if you can connect to <a
> href="http://artemis.shults.org">http://artemis.shults.org</a>, then
> I've probably solved it.  if you can't, I still need help, thanks.)

eth0 fun!

Post by patrick.them.. » Wed, 06 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> > ~Steven

> > (p.s.  if you can connect to <a
> > href="http://artemis.shults.org">http://artemis.shults.org</a>, then
> > I've probably solved it.  if you can't, I still need help, thanks.)

could not connect
so heres my 2pennies worth of ideas.

had some trouble of the same kind with solaris -
with solaris i KNOW it does NOT like
if you change the setup ( even put the nic into a separat slot.)
something to do with internal count of slots.

so , anyway, try this -
REMOVE the card.
remove it also from setup -
( i dont know about the redhat tool-
should be possible there as well )
boot it once without card, and without networking enabled
( this doesnot apply to your ppp)
then, add card again, and add it also again in the setup -
like you installed it the very first time.
hth

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

eth0 fun!

Post by Steve » Wed, 06 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Thanks Patrick,

suppose I should have mentioned that pulling it out (hardware and
software) booting without it, putting it back in and booting again was
the first thing I tried. The crazy thing is that when I view dmesg, it
is getting recognized correctly, at the right irg and address, but alas,
'network dead but subsys locked' and no pinging can be done.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
~Steven

> > > ~Steven

> > > (p.s.  if you can connect to <a
> > > href="http://artemis.shults.org">http://artemis.shults.org</a>, then
> > > I've probably solved it.  if you can't, I still need help, thanks.)

> could not connect
> so heres my 2pennies worth of ideas.

> had some trouble of the same kind with solaris -
> with solaris i KNOW it does NOT like
> if you change the setup ( even put the nic into a separat slot.)
> something to do with internal count of slots.

> so , anyway, try this -
> REMOVE the card.
> remove it also from setup -
> ( i dont know about the redhat tool-
> should be possible there as well )
> boot it once without card, and without networking enabled
> ( this doesnot apply to your ppp)
> then, add card again, and add it also again in the setup -
> like you installed it the very first time.
> hth

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

eth0 fun!

Post by Vladimir Bereznike » Mon, 11 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I am a newbie, using RH6.0.  I will have to guess that you are running RH because of the location of the init scripts
"/etc/rc.d/init.d/network".  The message "network dead but subsys locked" means that there is a file in
/var/lock/subsys/network which is created when the service is started and deleted when the service is stopped.  So just
run the "/etc/rc.d/init.d/network stop" it will/should stop the message.

Sincerely,
Vlad B.

> Thanks Patrick,

> suppose I should have mentioned that pulling it out (hardware and
> software) booting without it, putting it back in and booting again was
> the first thing I tried. The crazy thing is that when I view dmesg, it
> is getting recognized correctly, at the right irg and address, but alas,
> 'network dead but subsys locked' and no pinging can be done.

> Any other thoughts?

> Thanks,
> ~Steven

> > could not connect
> > so heres my 2pennies worth of ideas.

> > had some trouble of the same kind with solaris -
> > with solaris i KNOW it does NOT like
> > if you change the setup ( even put the nic into a separat slot.)
> > something to do with internal count of slots.

> > so , anyway, try this -
> > REMOVE the card.
> > remove it also from setup -
> > ( i dont know about the redhat tool-
> > should be possible there as well )
> > boot it once without card, and without networking enabled
> > ( this doesnot apply to your ppp)
> > then, add card again, and add it also again in the setup -
> > like you installed it the very first time.
> > hth

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

1. Fun fun fun! :)

I upgraded xf 4.0 to xf 4.0.1 on my PPC running YDL 1.2 (redhat).  I
wanted the latest and greatest video driver... which seems to be very
nice, so far!!

Well, for anyone about to do this, be warned that the XF86Config file
has incorrect keyboard mappings for G4s, anyway.  You can copy the old
settings from the old config file, and you have to do some tweaking
since the config file format has changed, but I think it will be obvious
to you when you compare the two.

Good luck to anyone else out there who is getting ready to upgrade.  I
also upgraded gnome to helix-gnome last night...  that too was an
adventure.  But thanks to the many helpful people who read this
newsgroup, I was able to get through it!   :)

Thanks!

Mike J.

2. Sendmail on 2.5.1

3. fun, fun fun

4. Solaris limitation in the number of concurrent Thread ?

5. KIllustrator: fun, fun, fun.

6. capturing ^C in applications - not trap in a shell

7. Ethernet card fun/APM fun

8. LinuxTown

9. rh7.1: delaying eth0 initialization?? eth0 startup fail?

10. eth0 shuts down with NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out error.

11. "eth0" vs. "eth0:1"

12. Possible? eth0:1 ... eth0:50000

13. What does Bringingup eth0: Delaying eth0 initialization <Failed> mean?