IP accounting.

Post by Ronnie B. Nielse » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi

I have a local network with my linux machine, running ipfwadm and som other
windows NT machines and som clients.

Is it possible to measure the www(port 80) traffic usage on the NT servers
on the local network, with the linux IP accounting????
(I mean the www(port80) traffic that the clients uses on the localnet  to a
specified NT server)

or does linux ip accounting require that the traffic it can meassure should
be routed through the linux machine????

Or can linux ip accounting just watch/measure traffic on the localnetwork??

Best regards
Ronnie Bach

IP accounting.

Post by Karlheinz Boehm » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi Ronnie,

take a look at 'tcpdump'. It is able to capture any packet that hits
your NIC, as long as your NIC is able to do this. You can redirect the
output
of tcpdump to a file for later investigations, but keep in mind, that
those
files can become very large, depending on the traffic on your network.

> Hi

> I have a local network with my linux machine, running ipfwadm and som other
> windows NT machines and som clients.

> Is it possible to measure the www(port 80) traffic usage on the NT servers
> on the local network, with the linux IP accounting????
> (I mean the www(port80) traffic that the clients uses on the localnet  to a
> specified NT server)

> or does linux ip accounting require that the traffic it can meassure should
> be routed through the linux machine????

> Or can linux ip accounting just watch/measure traffic on the localnetwork??

> Best regards
> Ronnie Bach

1. IP accounting on a per-user basis, rather than per IP address.

I would like to be able to set up an Internet connection for one of our
offices using a Linux system as a firewall. Okay, this is easy enough
using ipfwadm which supports packet logging as well.

Problem: Management are saying: "Great, but we need to keep track of how
much each user accesses the Internet, you can only give us data on what
each /machine/ is doing - not good enough."

Their solution is to install MS Proxy Server on one of the NT servers.
I really, really don't want to have MS Poxy Server on any of my
machines!

Any ideas?

PS, Ideally I want to be able to track access by NT user account, but I
can probably kludge that up with Samba, if I can get accounting
happening on a Linux user account basis.

Lionel.
--
Grep bait: qmail, Archimedes Plutonium, turkey, Kibo, Wollmann, Meow.
Grep bait de jour: Theresa Willis, Terri

2. numlock and xserver

3. IP Tables & IP Accounting

4. AIX on Apple Network Server

5. IP Accounting + Ip Chains

6. 3 EISA Token Ring Network Cards

7. ip-accounting problem ??

8. Which volume has the info on using Athena again?

9. setting up a dynamically allocating IP account

10. HELP: IP Accounting with 2.2 kernel

11. IP Accounting

12. How do I setup ip accounting with ipchains?