E-mail Messages to Local Users Being Queued, Not Delivered

E-mail Messages to Local Users Being Queued, Not Delivered

Post by Eric Robins » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 17:25:19

Our external mail server, extmail.pimpnugget.com, a RH 7.2 box running
sendmail 8.11.6, is configured to sit in the dirty dmz and relay
inbound messages to a server behind the firewall

relayed to intmail.pimpnugget.com.

This is working.

However, mail sent to local users on the external box (e. g.., mail

Bobby never gets the mail and it never leaves extmail.pimpnugget.com.

I have extmail.pimpnugget.com in the local-host-names file.

What else needs to be done?

Post by Steve Cowle » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 21:59:27

> Our external mail server, extmail.pimpnugget.com, a RH 7.2 box running
> sendmail 8.11.6, is configured to sit in the dirty dmz and relay
> inbound messages to a server behind the firewall

> relayed to intmail.pimpnugget.com.

> This is working.

> However, mail sent to local users on the external box (e. g.., mail

> Bobby never gets the mail and it never leaves extmail.pimpnugget.com.

> I have extmail.pimpnugget.com in the local-host-names file.

It would help if we could see the actual (not delievered) logfile message
from /var/log/maillog. Without this info...

1) does bobby have a local account on extmail??
2) what mailer is defined for local delivery? i.e. procmail
3) how is procmail configured? i.e. .mc definition?

Steve Cowles
remove the _ to reply

E-mail Messages to Local Users Being Queued, Not Delivered

Post by Eric Robins » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 02:56:32

On Wed, 06 Mar 2002 12:59:27 GMT, "Steve Cowles"

>> Our external mail server, extmail.pimpnugget.com, a RH 7.2 box running
>> sendmail 8.11.6, is configured to sit in the dirty dmz and relay
>> inbound messages to a server behind the firewall

>> relayed to intmail.pimpnugget.com.

>> This is working.

>> However, mail sent to local users on the external box (e. g.., mail

>> Bobby never gets the mail and it never leaves extmail.pimpnugget.com.

>> I have extmail.pimpnugget.com in the local-host-names file.

>It would help if we could see the actual (not delievered) logfile message
>from /var/log/maillog. Without this info...

The relevant log entries are:

Mar 5 23:50:50 extmail sendmail[1994]:g267oWi01994:

        proto=smtp, daemon=MTA, relay=localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]

Mar 5 23:50:59 extmail sendmail[1994]:g267oWi01994:

        pri=30005, stat=queued.

And that's as far as it goes.

Quote:>1) does bobby have a local account on extmail??

Aye, captain.

Quote:>2) what mailer is defined for local delivery? i.e. procmail

Sorry. I'm clueless. I do not recall doing this. Guess I thought the
default configuration would hand it off to "mail." But now that I test
it, that's not working either. At least, when I type "mail bobby" and
fill out the form that follows, it accepts the mail. But when I login
as bobby and type "mail," it says "No mail for bobby."

Quote:>3) how is procmail configured? i.e. .mc definition?

See above, re: clueless.

Post by Steve Cowle » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 07:40:52

> On Wed, 06 Mar 2002 12:59:27 GMT, "Steve Cowles"

> >> Our external mail server, extmail.pimpnugget.com, a RH 7.2 box running
> >> sendmail 8.11.6, is configured to sit in the dirty dmz and relay
> >> inbound messages to a server behind the firewall

> >> relayed to intmail.pimpnugget.com.

> >> This is working.

> >> However, mail sent to local users on the external box (e. g.., mail

> >> Bobby never gets the mail and it never leaves extmail.pimpnugget.com.

> >> I have extmail.pimpnugget.com in the local-host-names file.

> >It would help if we could see the actual (not delievered) logfile message
> >from /var/log/maillog. Without this info...

> The relevant log entries are:

> Mar 5 23:50:50 extmail sendmail[1994]:g267oWi01994:

> proto=smtp, daemon=MTA, relay=localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]

> Mar 5 23:50:59 extmail sendmail[1994]:g267oWi01994:

> pri=30005, stat=queued.

Based on the above, the local mailer is being selected by sendmail. Which is
good! Unfortunately, the status is queued. Since these e-mails are being
queued,  "mailq" should at least give a reason why they were queued.

Quote:> And that's as far as it goes.

> >1) does bobby have a local account on extmail??

> Aye, captain.

OK.

Quote:

> >2) what mailer is defined for local delivery? i.e. procmail

> Sorry. I'm clueless. I do not recall doing this. Guess I thought the
> default configuration would hand it off to "mail." But now that I test
> it, that's not working either. At least, when I type "mail bobby" and
> fill out the form that follows, it accepts the mail. But when I login
> as bobby and type "mail," it says "No mail for bobby."

Standard sendmail configs (at least from redhat) define procmail as the
local mailer.

if you have configured sendmail to accept extmail.pimpnugget.com as local.
i.e. /etc/mail/local-host-names

Based on the above logfile entries, it looks like sendmail is properly
selecting the local mailer. As it should in this case.

Quote:

> >3) how is procmail configured? i.e. .mc definition?

> See above, re: clueless.

From my sendmail.mc file (based on the one supplied from redhat)

define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/procmail')dnl
FEATURE(local_procmail,`',`procmail -t -Y -a $h -d $u')dnl
MAILER(procmail)dnl

procmail-3.21-0.71

Steve Cowles
remove the _ to reply

1. HELP: mail to local users NOT delivered (only queued)

Hi,

        I'm having a problem with Email deston for local users. I tested sendmail with rule set "0" and it worked fine, at Tim
Ma's recomendation I tested the "3,0" rule test for sendmail. He was right it come up with an error.  I fixed the "3,0" so it works.
The incomming mail(IE for internat users) is only queued in the "/var/spool/mqueue" directory and not deliveried.  What
program usualy takes these queued files and delivers them to the users file? I need all the help I can get.

thanks
scott.

P.S. here is a copy of the "3,0" and "0" results.

# sendmail -bt
ADDRESS TEST MODE
Enter <ruleset> <address>

rewrite: ruleset  3 returns: "scotj"
rewrite: ruleset  0   input: "scotj"
rewrite: ruleset  9   input: "scotj"
rewrite: ruleset  9 returns: "scotj"
rewrite: ruleset  0 returns: $# "local" $: "scotj"

rewrite: ruleset 30   input: "scotj"
rewrite: ruleset  3   input: "scotj"
rewrite: ruleset  3 returns: "scotj"
rewrite: ruleset  0   input: "scotj"
rewrite: ruleset  9   input: "scotj"
rewrite: ruleset  9 returns: "scotj"
rewrite: ruleset  0 returns: $# "local" $: "scotj"
rewrite: ruleset 30 returns: $# "local" $: "scotj"
rewrite: ruleset  0 returns: $# "local" $: "scotj"

2. Best way to manage restricted web site access under Linux?

3. MMDF problem: One user's e-mail will not deliver

4. $PATH

5. MMDF does not deliver mail to any local users

6. C++ Compilers for DEC Alpha running Linux?

7. How to deliver email to local hosts without looking up DNS?

8. Iomega Zip Drive compatible?

9. Did setup Linux, but having problems setting up Local Email between local users

10. Problem: Duplicate email messages delivered

11. Using qmail to deliver local generated system messages

12. sendmail queuing not delivering

13. Q: Msgs queued, but not delivered.