How do I reinstall Linux to a new file system from a running Linux system?

How do I reinstall Linux to a new file system from a running Linux system?

Post by Mark Cooperste » Fri, 15 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I already have Linux up and running on /dev/hda4.  My swap is /dev/hda3 and
previously I had Windows NT server on /dev/hda2.  /dev/hda1 is my OS2 boot
loader.  So I love Linux, it does everything (and better) then NT server did
(nanny nanny poo poo Billy boy) so I nuked the NT server partition and made
another ext2 Linux partition on /hda2.  I would like to be able to make /hda2
my new Linux system and use /hda4 for user files, games, etc. (non Linux
system stuff).  Right now, /hda2 is empty.  So, how do I get Linux over to
/hda2??

I looked into cp, but the problem is that it doesn't seem to copy files that
have hard/symbolic links to them properly.  At least it didn't seem to work
when I tried to.  Also, it barfs when trying to copy /dev over and I assume it
probably will have a heart attack with /proc.  Anyway, I thought I could
simply copy all the Linux system directories over to  /hda2, reconfigure lilo
to point to it, and then boot.  Doesn't look like I can easily do this.
Another option I was thinking about, is doing a network install if this is
possible?  I currently have Linux setup with an ISDN high speed Internet
connection (using pppd).  My flavour of Linus is Red Hat 5.2 using kernel
2.1.130 (needed some support in this kernel not available 2.0.36).  Is there a
way I can run the same Red Hat install program that I originally did and ftp
all the files from sunsite over to /hda2 from my running system? I can't
reboot from the floppy install disks to do this, because the ISDN support
isn't there unless my current Linux system is running (I originally did this
by installing the ISDN in a Windoze machine and using ftp through a proxy, but
I don't want to disconnect the device and do this again).

There has to be an easier way?

Also, I use partition magic (installed in /dev/hdb1 - second IDE drive) to set
this stuff up originally.  It works great and allows me to boot any OS.  It
also allows me to resize partitions - safely.  Is there any advantage to
having my swap partition as /hda3, or should I try to move it physically to
some other part of the disk? ie: move /hda4 to where /hda3 is and
visa-versa putting the swap partition at the end of the disk
partition space. Probably, I should just leave it as it is...

Mark

**  Remove ".nospam" when replying or email will bounce back to you...

How do I reinstall Linux to a new file system from a running Linux system?

Post by G. Frank Paynte » Fri, 15 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Mark,

check out the Ghost utility.  It will copy the contents of one partitioin into
another making partition size adjustments as necessary.

a) Ghost, V5.1b

This version adds speed
        improvements, better diagnostic reporting, more extensive online help,
graphical user interface,
        Year 2000 compliancy, and numerous fixes.
        System requirements: 386 processor or better; a minimum of 2 Mb free hard
disk space; and a
        minimum of 8 Mb RAM.

Frank

> I already have Linux up and running on /dev/hda4.  My swap is /dev/hda3 and
> previously I had Windows NT server on /dev/hda2.  /dev/hda1 is my OS2 boot
> loader.  So I love Linux, it does everything (and better) then NT server did
> (nanny nanny poo poo Billy boy) so I nuked the NT server partition and made
> another ext2 Linux partition on /hda2.  I would like to be able to make /hda2
> my new Linux system and use /hda4 for user files, games, etc. (non Linux
> system stuff).  Right now, /hda2 is empty.  So, how do I get Linux over to
> /hda2??

> I looked into cp, but the problem is that it doesn't seem to copy files that
> have hard/symbolic links to them properly.  At least it didn't seem to work
> when I tried to.  Also, it barfs when trying to copy /dev over and I assume it
> probably will have a heart attack with /proc.  Anyway, I thought I could
> simply copy all the Linux system directories over to  /hda2, reconfigure lilo
> to point to it, and then boot.  Doesn't look like I can easily do this.
> Another option I was thinking about, is doing a network install if this is
> possible?  I currently have Linux setup with an ISDN high speed Internet
> connection (using pppd).  My flavour of Linus is Red Hat 5.2 using kernel
> 2.1.130 (needed some support in this kernel not available 2.0.36).  Is there a
> way I can run the same Red Hat install program that I originally did and ftp
> all the files from sunsite over to /hda2 from my running system? I can't
> reboot from the floppy install disks to do this, because the ISDN support
> isn't there unless my current Linux system is running (I originally did this
> by installing the ISDN in a Windoze machine and using ftp through a proxy, but
> I don't want to disconnect the device and do this again).

> There has to be an easier way?

> Also, I use partition magic (installed in /dev/hdb1 - second IDE drive) to set
> this stuff up originally.  It works great and allows me to boot any OS.  It
> also allows me to resize partitions - safely.  Is there any advantage to
> having my swap partition as /hda3, or should I try to move it physically to
> some other part of the disk? ie: move /hda4 to where /hda3 is and
> visa-versa putting the swap partition at the end of the disk
> partition space. Probably, I should just leave it as it is...

> Mark

> **  Remove ".nospam" when replying or email will bounce back to you...

1. Enhanced Filing system - file system like DEC Advanced File system for Linux

    Some time ago I was involved in discussion on this news group regarding the
design of a new file system for Linux.  The main aim is to support dynamic size
changing by adding/removing partitions from the file system at run time without
interrupting processes that are using the file system.  Another major feature is
logging so that a system crash or power failure can be recovered from without
data loss or an excessive amount of time spent running FSCK.

  This project is now going ahead, if you are interested then please load up the
following URL: http://www.virtual.net.au/~rjc/enh-fs.html

Russell Coker

2. Socket Question

3. Can msdos file system handle double space DOS file system ?

4. Linux on PowerPC (not Mac but IBM)

5. Can File System Partitioning be done without reinstall in RH 7.3?

6. setting the date

7. Linux file system in Dos file?

8. Chroot

9. How I could add a new system call to linux or modify a system calls

10. "Standard Journaled File System" vs "Large File Enabled Journaled File System"

11. NFS io errors on transfer from system running 2.4 to system running 2.5

12. creating/adding new file systems after the system has been brought up

13. advice needed on new system to run Linux