Help with 3Com 5610 modem

Post by The silverTabbed On » Tue, 21 Nov 2000 16:24:37

Hey,

I have a 3Com modem that I need to set up in RH7.  I had it working
BEAUTIFULLY in RH6.2...which I also had to get a little newsgroup help in
setting up.  But I have since forgotten how the freak I did it.  It's the
5610 model...wonderful *hardware* modem.  I remember that I had to first
enter a command to find out which PCI slot it was in and the IRQ, then I
think use the setserial command...so how's that work again?

John Bailey
The silverTabbed One

Help with 3Com 5610 modem

Post by Ben Okopn » Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:00:00

The ancient archives of Mon, 20 Nov 2000 01:24:37 -0600 showed
The silverTabbed One of comp.os.linux.networking speaking thus:

Quote:>Hey,

>I have a 3Com modem that I need to set up in RH7.  I had it working
>BEAUTIFULLY in RH6.2...which I also had to get a little newsgroup help in
>setting up.  But I have since forgotten how the freak I did it.  It's the
>5610 model...wonderful *hardware* modem.  I remember that I had to first
>enter a command to find out which PCI slot it was in and the IRQ, then I
>think use the setserial command...so how's that work again?

There are several steps (this assumes you have pciutils installed):

For your serial port, set it to 115K by issuing

setserial /dev/ttySx spd_vhi

where 'x' is the number of the serial port that your modem is on. Remember
that, unlike DOS, serial ports start at ttyS0. Make sure this is some place
(not being vague, but I've seen at least 4 different places where this
gets done in different distros) where it'll get run during the boot
process.

pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf

Dig around in "isapnp.conf" until you find the right combo of IRQ and port
address for your modem. Experimenting by running "isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf"
does no harm, and lets you know when you've found the right values if you
don't know them. When you've finally got a combo that works, uncomment the
"(ACT Y)" line at the end, and make sure (the above comment applies) that
"isapnp" gets executed during the boot.

Ben
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- REMOVE THE OBVIOUS SPAMTRAP TO REPLY -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Bill Gates says no matter how much more power we can supply, he'll
 develop some really exciting software that will bring the machine
 to its knees."
 -- Intel VP David House, In _EE_Times_, 16 October 1989

1. Help with 3Com 5610 modem

Hey,

I have a 3Com modem that I need to set up in RH7.  I had it working
BEAUTIFULLY in RH6.2...which I also had to get a little newsgroup help in
setting up.  But I have since forgotten how the freak I did it.  It's the
5610 model...wonderful *hardware* modem.  I remember that I had to first
enter a command to find out which PCI slot it was in and the IRQ, then I
think use the setserial command...so how's that work again?

John Bailey
The silverTabbed One

2. how to let users to change their passw via the web

3. Help with a 3Com 5610 modem

4. qla1280 mem-mapped I/O fix

5. 3Com USR 5610 PCI Modem Problems

6. multiplexing i/o with select

7. USR/3COM 5610 modem

8. Unix/Solaris information source?

9. Solved: configuration of 3Com/USR 5610 PCI modem

10. HOWTO setup a US Robotics/3Com 56K PCI FaxModem Model 5610/2977

11. 3Com 5610 on Com5