ppp connects!... then just sits there :(

ppp connects!... then just sits there :(

Post by pots » Mon, 04 May 1998 04:00:00

Greetings,
pppd 2.2.0 and Slackware 3.4 (2.0.30 kernel). ppp-on dials and connects to
my isp, but nothing (at all) happens after that. It's like both sides are
waiting for somethig they're not getting. I've sent "ppp", "my_login_name",
"shell", and some dirty words... nothing. Could an incorrect
/etc/ppp/chap-secrets or /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file do this? Windows 95
connects to the same ISP using Login_name, Password, Phone_number and the
ISP's domain name. What does Windows 95 know that pppd doesn't? I once got
a [pppd]: "terminating on signal 2" message while watching the progress in
/var/log/messages, but I there are no  error codes in man pppd to give me
an indication of what this means. I think it would really help. Could it be
a standard error code?

I have found strace and /var/log/messages to be of great help in getting
this far, but with nothing happening, my "signal 2" is the only clue I
have.

Is ther a way to see what Windows 95 is doing as it logs in? I tried Hyper
Terminal in Windows 95 and got the same results as with linux. It's a
wonderment...

Thanx,
Corky
N1PZY
76 FLH
Human
--
Delete "Erase_This_Part" for return email :o)

1. Talk refused to talk:(:(:(:(

Hello there people:)...
  I had linux kernel 1.2.8 installed in my system. I have a SLIP/PPP
connection using either dip (for SLIP) or pppd/chat (for PPP).
  Now, Most of my network stuff are working fine without any problem at all
except talk. Talk works fine for local chatting. No problem at all. The
problem is when ever I call out to other machine (using the SLIP/PPP line),
nothing has ever happen. It got as far as Checking invitation stuff. Never
more.
  Just out of curiosity I ran netstate to check the udp connection whenever
I have talk running. Running locally (talk that is) I got output as follow:

Active Internet connections
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address          Foreign Address        (State)
User
udp        0      0 lucifer.newpaltz.:1328 *:*

Which I presumed opened by talk (only one here because the other side hadn't
responded to the call yet).  I also get the same thing whenever I call
someone outside my system to talk. Of course, it never got to the other
system (I was waiting on the other system using telnet for the talk request,
never got there. And I had made sure that mesg was y).

Now when I call *IN* from other system (telnet to another system and run
talk over there to my system), I have (on my system) output as follow:

Active Internet connections
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address          Foreign Address        (State)
User

And also from netstat -a, I could find talk/ntalk were still listening.
Seems to me the call from outside didn't get through.

Now, since I haven't done anything to configure talk specifically, is there
anything I have to do to make this connection possible. Since I can't talk
to outside nor can I receive talk request from other hosts, I'm under the
assumption that my talk program somehow is not configured properly.

Any configuration file I have to check?
man, faq, howto, etc to refer to this kind of error?
May be replace my talk/ntalk/talkd/ntalkd with something else and where to
find it/them?
Does it depend on something in the kernel that I have to enable during the
compile time?
Wrong version altogether with the kernel?
Is it possible that talk needs long time to make the connection? (None of my
other stuff that I know of behave like this).
May be my inetd is broken?
If so, how do I check for it?
And where to find the latest version of it?

And while I'm at it, what's the latest version of talk?
Where to find it?
Is there a better chatting program that's backward compatible with talk?
Meaning that the program has more features than talk but at the same time
can be used to communicate with other regular talk program whenever the
program is not available on the other host.

--
Send comment and reply to:

2. Benchmark software

3. my trashed hard drive. :( :( :(

4. KDE2: Konqueror won't display html.

5. cron: Linux Sat/2 doesn't work (every 2nd sat)

6. tool for screenshot, but not gimp

7. FTP says connected to xxxxxxxxx then just sits there

8. Help needed in building software (ie. ./configure)

9. PPP can connect but couldn't connect to internet

10. Help! PPP Connects but apps say not connected.

11. PPP connects, pap connects, then nothing

12. PPP connected to host but still can't connect to internet!

13. Cannot connect to my own server :(