Opinions/Experiences with Solaris7/Intel (wrt Linux 2.2)?

Opinions/Experiences with Solaris7/Intel (wrt Linux 2.2)?

Post by Russ » Mon, 10 May 1999 04:00:00

I am interested in anyone's
opinions/experiences with Solaris7/Intel for
high performance web app servers (in this case:
many small HTTP xactions, each requiring
some serious crunching, and  hitting main memory hard).

I have not used the latest and greatest from
Sun for Intel...previous versions have left much to be
desired.

We have been getting tremendous performance
with Linux/Intel (in absolute terms and in comparison
to Sparc/Solaris on similaly priced boxes).

Our client wants us to consider Solaris7, which I
am okay with as long as we don't lose performance
and reliabilty, any thoughts on this switch?

Thanks in advance.

Russ

BTW, I heard Solaris7/Intel had a special HTTP API
to speed up a web server? Is this published?...since
we are using an in-house multi-threaded HTTP server
that might be a sweet thing.

Opinions/Experiences with Solaris7/Intel (wrt Linux 2.2)?

Post by Nitin Mul » Tue, 11 May 1999 04:00:00

How about Linux on UltraSPARC?
http://cnn.com/TECH/computing/9905/05/ultrasparc.idg/index.html

Nitin.

Post by Philip Bro » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00

>BTW, I heard Solaris7/Intel had a special HTTP API
>to speed up a web server? Is this published?...since
>we are using an in-house multi-threaded HTTP server
>that might be a sweet thing.

I think rather there are some special kernel tweaks to speed up the tcp driver
for http-like transactions. Stuff you put in /etc/system.

The word of the day is sescaquintillion

1. Opinions/Experiences with Solaris7/Intel (wrt Linux 2.2)?

[...]

2. Solaris 7, 2.6, 2.5.1, ...: /usr/openwin/bin/mp problem

3. RH9 refusing to install Dvorak keyboard

4. Behavior of exec wrt euid/ruid on 2.2 vs. 2.4 kernels

5. Needed: printcap routines

6. Can primary glibc 2.1.x coexist with non-primary glibc 2.2.x WRT shared binaries?

7. a newbie: how do i change ip-address on a nis+ server?

8. Windows and Slackware experiences w.r.t. ease of setup/use.

9. Q: Experience/Opinions with UMSDOS and Linux?

10. Any opinions on Caldera 2.2 with LIZARD?

11. PPP 2.2.0c - my experiences.

12. for 2.2.x i386 Linux kernel DoS - Affects 2.2.x and probably 2.0.x