Trouble with ping

Post by The Dud » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I am new to Linux and can't figure out what I configured wrong. I have a
small network at home, two machines and connect to internet with PPP.

I can get on the internet with Netscape and surf around, so DNS is working.
I can ping via name or IP my local two home machines, but they are in my
hosts file.
I can't ping addresses on the internet.  If I use the name of a internet
site the address is being resolved, but nothing ping sits forever.  If I
ping with the IP address same result ping just sits.

Can someone point me to what I setup wrong or forgot to configure?

TIA,
Steve B.

Trouble with ping

Post by Michael D. Cencul » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

What machine has the connection to the internet, the linux box, or one of
the two home machines.  Which machine are you trying to ping from?  Give
some more detailed info.

>I am new to Linux and can't figure out what I configured wrong. I have a
>small network at home, two machines and connect to internet with PPP.

>I can get on the internet with Netscape and surf around, so DNS is working.
>I can ping via name or IP my local two home machines, but they are in my
>hosts file.
>I can't ping addresses on the internet.  If I use the name of a internet
>site the address is being resolved, but nothing ping sits forever.  If I
>ping with the IP address same result ping just sits.

>Can someone point me to what I setup wrong or forgot to configure?

>TIA,
>Steve B.

1. Trouble with ping, traceroute

Hi,

Recently ping and traceroute stopped working on one of our Linux boxes.
Just no output from either program.
All other networking stuff seems fine.

I moved a ping binary over from another machine, that one experienced
the same results.

What's the next steps in debugging this (ICMP?) problem?

Thanks,
Chris

2. Micron PCI P90 PowerStation+

3. Netgear Trouble 3 (Pinging)

4. Linux for < 40 MB hard disk??

5. Have trouble to ping/telnet/rlogin each other

6. Mapping disk hardware address to logical address?

7. Trouble while pinging

8. What do you use to read the newsgroups ?

9. A pings B, B pings C, C cannot ping A

10. NFS, ping latency, ssh trouble?

11. Trouble running PPP - pings only - Help!

12. trouble pinging

13. ping loss of packets -- network or server trouble?