Realtek 8139

Post by Bartek Kostrzew » Sat, 03 Aug 2002 05:06:04

Hi, I have a mini-LAN set up with a Cat-5 crossover calbe between my two
boxen. On one of these I am using a Realtek 8139 chipped NIC which
unfortunately refuses to autonegotiate 100-FD mode... forcing it does
not help. Forcing adverti*t and use of 100-FD on the other machine
only causes the network to go down. Strangely, the other card is
actually exactly the same card, chip etc.. with the small difference
that it is being run in Windows 2K. I've had this problem forever but
only now it really annoyed me because I need the second machine as
additional storage space.

I've skimmed the net already and only found people with similar
problems, but no solutions unfortunately.

The cable is definately not the problem because when I still had W2K on

Thanks for taking a look,

Bartek Kostrzewa

Realtek 8139

Post by Bartek Kostrzew » Sat, 03 Aug 2002 09:13:32

the usual
8 MB/s... what the heck is going on?

Realtek 8139

Post by David Efflan » Sat, 03 Aug 2002 12:19:54

> the usual
> 8 MB/s... what the heck is going on?

Perhaps a DNS problem.  Linux is much more particular about who connects
to it and usually tries to find a name for any connecting IP.  Is there a
name for the W2k box in /etc/hosts or local DNS?

Realtek 8139

Post by D. Stimit » Sat, 03 Aug 2002 14:44:21

>>the usual
>>8 MB/s... what the heck is going on?

> Perhaps a DNS problem.  Linux is much more particular about who connects
> to it and usually tries to find a name for any connecting IP.  Is there a
> name for the W2k box in /etc/hosts or local DNS?

One thing I have tried to figure out forever, is how to turn on
ident/auth (port 113) on a win 2k machine. I have my linux machines
setup to not talk to anything without auth, and this is something that
will very closely resemble a DNS problem (but would not effect full/half
duplex issues, and only matters under protocols/daemons that know about
auth).

D. Stimits, stimits AT idcomm.com

Realtek 8139

Post by David Schwart » Sat, 03 Aug 2002 15:19:23

> One thing I have tried to figure out forever, is how to turn on
> ident/auth (port 113) on a win 2k machine.

        The same way you do it on a Linux machine, you install and configure an
ident server.

        DS

Realtek 8139

Post by D. Stimit » Sat, 03 Aug 2002 16:20:55

>>One thing I have tried to figure out forever, is how to turn on
>>ident/auth (port 113) on a win 2k machine.

>    The same way you do it on a Linux machine, you install and configure an
> ident server.

>    DS

Such a thing should come with the system. Is that a separately purchased
product? Or can I just turn it on in the services under some other name
(I have not found ident or auth in services)? I love to test it to see
if the linux box finally lets me in from the win2k box. It is possible
that the same thing is at least a portion of the original poster's problem.

Realtek 8139

Post by Bartek Kostrzew » Sat, 03 Aug 2002 18:42:50

Ok... I've solved the matter somewhat. The card in the linux box does only
have 4 metal 'rods' in the RJ-45 connector instead of the full 8. Might
it be that in order to use 100 Mbs FD you need more than just the four
basic connectors used in RJ-45 cabling for networks? Still, it's quite

I exchanged the card with another RTL8139 based one and that one worked
nicely. Ethtool still reported the usual 10-HD but it worked at the
supposed 8 MB/s... Now I have to get a new adaptor with all the wires...
or maybe it's the control chip which is different on the newer board?

Bartek

Realtek 8139

Post by Bartek Kostrzew » Sat, 03 Aug 2002 18:44:29

>>the usual
>>8 MB/s... what the heck is going on?

> Perhaps a DNS problem.  Linux is much more particular about who connects
> to it and usually tries to find a name for any connecting IP.  Is there a
> name for the W2k box in /etc/hosts or local DNS?

Hmm.. yes there is. Can't be it then. Thanks tho.

1. RealTek 8129/8139 vs. Alternative RealTek 8139

The kernel configuration for 2.2.19 has the following two network
drivers:

  RealTek 8129/8139 (not 8019/8029!) support
  Alternative RealTek 8139 driver (8139too) support

with the alternative driver containing the phrase "sophisticated,
multi platform driver for RealTek 8139x" in the help.

My question: has anyone any experience of the alternative driver?  Is
it more/less stable?  Better/worse performance?  Why should I use it?

--
the-web-works  http://www.the-web-works.co.uk/
               http://www.ne-datacentre.co.uk/

2. Starting Developping a series of multimedia tools

3. Realtek 8139 PCMCIA + Mandrake 7.2

4. possible to generate htpasswd file on win95?

5. 100MBit ethernet PCI card RealTek 8139

6. England sucks - a call to arms

7. Scary problem with Realtek 8139

8. Solaris 2.4 x86 & INN1.4sec: Still get 'Resource temporarily unavailable'

9. support for RealTek 8139 ethernet card

10. Realtek 8139's and Opti Viper 82C556M not working

11. Macsense FE-551 aka Realtek 8139

12. Realtek 8139 Cardbus

13. Realtek 8139 driver on Solaris8/x86?