Network card supported in documentation though not here down on earth

Network card supported in documentation though not here down on earth

Post by F.P. Laus » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 17:33:56

I have a D-Link DFE-530 Tx PCI fast ethernet card which is working
fine under Windows. According to the Ethernet HOWTO this card is
supported under linux through the via-rhine driver. Anyway configured
with via-rhine under debian 2.2.19 the card keeps resetting, reporting
a transmit timed out, status 0000, phy status 0000. It once could ping
something but never worked again anymore. On LhD, the page related to
this card (http://lhd.zdnet.com/db/dispproduct.php3?DISP?296) reports
that many people have experienced the same problem. Therefore, is this
card supported only partially (when the documentation reports it as:
supported) or are there arcane or lucky steps to embark upon? In case
I have to change the card, which is certified to be problem-free with
linux?

Thanks.

F.P.L.

Network card supported in documentation though not here down on earth

Post by Chi Yeun » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 22:15:18

I had problems with that card before.  The card did
work with 7.x version of RHLinux.  Following are
my suggestions

1.  You can try download the latest driver code from
http://www.scyld.com/network/
recompile and install it in your kernel

2.  You can download the latest kernel and recompile.

3.  The easiest would be to use another card that
works.  I would suggest the ones that use the RealTek
chip.  The one I am using rtl8139 works on debian 2.2.19
and very cheap.

> I have a D-Link DFE-530 Tx PCI fast ethernet card which is working
> fine under Windows. According to the Ethernet HOWTO this card is
> supported under linux through the via-rhine driver. Anyway configured
> with via-rhine under debian 2.2.19 the card keeps resetting, reporting
> a transmit timed out, status 0000, phy status 0000. It once could ping
> something but never worked again anymore. On LhD, the page related to
> this card (http://lhd.zdnet.com/db/dispproduct.php3?DISP?296) reports
> that many people have experienced the same problem. Therefore, is this
> card supported only partially (when the documentation reports it as:
> supported) or are there arcane or lucky steps to embark upon? In case
> I have to change the card, which is certified to be problem-free with
> linux?

> Thanks.

> F.P.L.

Network card supported in documentation though not here down on earth

Post by David Efflan » Sat, 27 Jul 2002 15:56:43

Quote:> I have a D-Link DFE-530 Tx PCI fast ethernet card which is working
> fine under Windows. According to the Ethernet HOWTO this card is
> supported under linux through the via-rhine driver. Anyway configured
> with via-rhine under debian 2.2.19 the card keeps resetting, reporting
> a transmit timed out, status 0000, phy status 0000...

Note that there is a significant difference whether the model number ends
with plus.  The DFE-530TX+ is reasonably priced and works fine with
8139too module (rtl8139 module did not work for me).

Network card supported in documentation though not here down on earth

Post by Fabrice P. Lauss » Sat, 27 Jul 2002 20:31:47

Thanks for the suggestions.

I managed to have the card work after all but in the most bizarre way.

There was this problem that my HWaddr was not properly initialised but was
set all to 00 and also this intriguing fact that I knew for sure it has
worked once before. Somewhere there has been reported that if it was all FF
this could be due to warm-boot after windows having put its ugly head into
some intimate parameters of the card. The first time it worked was after
the power supply went down in the night and I came back with the machine
already on linux (lilo having it as default). I did a cold boot, i.e.,
switching down the machine for 10 minutes, to check, but it didn't solve
anything. Now I noticed that when I crashed windows and left with a
*reset*, not by the proper (sic) "start->quit" procedure, the card would
work! That's the solution. Don't expect me to explain it but I am really
serious about it: the [my] remedy is to reset bluntly while in windows,
boot linux, and it works with the via-rhine driver! Incredible, isn't it?