Networktraffic too high

Post by Bart.Haezel.. » Sun, 13 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I'm looking for a solution for the very high traffic rate on our
network. Currently the network load is 80% or higher. I don't think
that this is very normal. What can I do about it ?
Normally our network must be segmented, but the network dudes are too
lazy.
This is our situation (simplified) now :

                 +-----+
                 + HUB +
                 +--+--+
                    +
    +---------------+---------------+
    +               +               +
+---+---+       +---+---+       +---+---+
+ PC  A +       + PC  B +       + ...   +
+-------+       +-+-----+       +-------+

The real situation is with +/- 800 PCs, in 3 buildings and 10 floors.

I looking for a something to seperate our testlab from the rest of the
network, but we need the same IPs as the rest of the network. The
network traffic that we generate must not be visible on the rest of
the network.

Is this posible ? Is this possible with a Linux machine and 2 NICS ?

I can't read newsgroups at my office.

Networktraffic too high

Post by Thin » Tue, 15 Dec 1998 04:00:00

yes it looks possible and should be fairly easy (but ive never done it) use
an old machine (dx4-100 16 meg ram is fine ) to act as a router. Why do u
need the same IP's? using routing and gateway commands having a different ip
subnet should be transparant. Running Linux written by matt walsh o'rielly
press covers this very subject and its a good book generally. If you want to
you can add firewalling to keep noisy people out as well ;)

Thing

Networktraffic too high

Post by rks » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

If this is your real network, you really need a lot of hubs! One for each
work floor
to start with. It is possible to use a linux server to separate the
testlab from the rest.
The testlab side will need another net, or you will have to use
subnetting.
You can use the private ip-range for example. (192.168.*.*)

> I'm looking for a solution for the very high traffic rate on our
> network. Currently the network load is 80% or higher. I don't think
> that this is very normal. What can I do about it ?
> Normally our network must be segmented, but the network dudes are too
> lazy.
> This is our situation (simplified) now :

>                  +-----+
>                  + HUB +
>                  +--+--+
>                     +
>     +---------------+---------------+
>     +               +               +
> +---+---+       +---+---+       +---+---+
> + PC  A +       + PC  B +       + ...   +
> +-------+       +-+-----+       +-------+

> The real situation is with +/- 800 PCs, in 3 buildings and 10 floors.

> I looking for a something to seperate our testlab from the rest of the
> network, but we need the same IPs as the rest of the network. The
> network traffic that we generate must not be visible on the rest of
> the network.

> Is this posible ? Is this possible with a Linux machine and 2 NICS ?

> I can't read newsgroups at my office.

Networktraffic too high

Post by Steven Naslun » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Yes, it is possible if the Linux box is set up with two NICs and configured
as a router.  I do think though that your performance would be much improved
if you got a dedicated router to handle that much traffic.  You could also
cut down on the traffic by using a network switch instead of a hub.  By the
way 80% traffic is much too high for an ethernet based network.  For
ethernet to run without too many colisions your target should not be much
more than 40% average traffic.  I would put a multiport router in each
building feeding ethernet switches on each floor ( or couple of floors ).
You have to potential for a major network failure here due to a
malfunctioning NIC or hub because you are in one broadcast domain.  A router
will protect each ethernet network from any other.  Hope this helps.

Steven Naslund

>Hello,

>If this is your real network, you really need a lot of hubs! One for each
>work floor
>to start with. It is possible to use a linux server to separate the
>testlab from the rest.
>The testlab side will need another net, or you will have to use
>subnetting.
>You can use the private ip-range for example. (192.168.*.*)

>> I'm looking for a solution for the very high traffic rate on our
>> network. Currently the network load is 80% or higher. I don't think
>> that this is very normal. What can I do about it ?
>> Normally our network must be segmented, but the network dudes are too
>> lazy.
>> This is our situation (simplified) now :

>>                  +-----+
>>                  + HUB +
>>                  +--+--+
>>                     +
>>     +---------------+---------------+
>>     +               +               +
>> +---+---+       +---+---+       +---+---+
>> + PC  A +       + PC  B +       + ...   +
>> +-------+       +-+-----+       +-------+

>> The real situation is with +/- 800 PCs, in 3 buildings and 10 floors.

>> I looking for a something to seperate our testlab from the rest of the
>> network, but we need the same IPs as the rest of the network. The
>> network traffic that we generate must not be visible on the rest of
>> the network.

>> Is this posible ? Is this possible with a Linux machine and 2 NICS ?

>> I can't read newsgroups at my office.

1. lot of networktraffic from 127.0.0.x

hello,
my new installed sol 9 sun fire box sends a lot of strange network
packets into his subnet, something like this:
1105 40.457000   127.0.0.154           108.122.0.0           IP
IPv6 hop-by-hop option (0x00)

   1106 40.457000   127.0.0.39            108.122.0.0           IP
IPv6 hop-by-hop option (0x00)

   1107 40.458000   127.0.0.154           108.122.0.0           IP
IPv6 hop-by-hop option (0x00)
All my other sol 7 / 8 boxes does nothing like this.
Can somebody tell me what it is and how I can stop this?
My networkadmin will be very happy.
Thanks a lot

2. Problems with lsof - can't identify protocol !

3. How High Is High ? (CPU Load)

4. How to limit the external traffic?

5. high res + high color?

6. If you didn't believe in strict OUTPUT filtering

7. SiS 6205 & high high resolution modes

8. Q: CVS doesn't let the root user commit

9. S3Virge, High Color & High Resolution

10. High Scan Rates, High IO Wait Question

11. wireless problem: high bandwidth but high latency

12. High Latency on Solaris 2.3? / High serial port latency

13. FireWall-1 & High UDP/TCP ports