Please help!

Post by jack walle » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

i've posted a couple of times without success.  i'm having difficulty
with my modem locking up on me.  it usually happens during a disconnect.
i'll run my disconnect script and the modem just locks up.  so far the
only solution i have found is powering down the computer.  i always
thought that one of the beauties of linux was that you could avoid that.

i'm running red hat 5.2 with afterstep 1.6.6.

thanks for any help.
--
jack wallen,jr ICQ:20503940    \||/  LINUX -anything else...404!
                                00

Please help!

Post by Geoff Alls » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999 12:52:01 -0500, jack wallen

Quote:>i've posted a couple of times without success.  i'm having difficulty
>with my modem locking up on me.  it usually happens during a disconnect.
>i'll run my disconnect script and the modem just locks up.  so far the
>only solution i have found is powering down the computer.  i always
>thought that one of the beauties of linux was that you could avoid that.

 I had something similar at one point with some generic internal modem.
The problem was evidently in the modem defaults, and was cured by a
couple of AT commands on startup after modem reset.  I've forgotten
exactly what it was (you need to look in your AT commands reference
which should have come with your modem) but it was something like the
following modem initialization string:

ATZ
ATX4&C1&D2

I think it's the &C1 or &D2 that's the important one...?

Anyway, give it a try and good luck,
geoff

Geoff Allsup                   Upper Ocean Processes Group
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution   Woods Hole, MA, USA

Please help!

Post by Clifford Ki » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

: i've posted a couple of times without success.  i'm having difficulty
: with my modem locking up on me.  it usually happens during a disconnect.
: i'll run my disconnect script and the modem just locks up.  so far the
: only solution i have found is powering down the computer.  i always
: thought that one of the beauties of linux was that you could avoid that.

I would bet that all modems lockup occasionly - mine does, but not more
than 3-4 times a year.  Its not an OS thing, its a hardware thing.

If yours is doing this more than once a month, with no power hiccups
associated with the hangup, you should consider getting a new modem.
You pay extra for an external modem but then you can just turn it off
and on without the need to powerdown the computer.

--

/* Better is the enemy of good enough. */

Please help!

Post by Micha3 Kuratcz » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>i've posted a couple of times without success.  i'm having difficulty
>with my modem locking up on me.  it usually happens during a disconnect.
>i'll run my disconnect script and the modem just locks up.  so far the
>only solution i have found is powering down the computer.  i always
>thought that one of the beauties of linux was that you could avoid that.

The simplest method to disconnect is 'killall pppd'. It _has_to_ work.

--
Micha3 Kuratczyk

1. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help

Everything ran WONDERFUL for about 4 months this machine ran several
servers it is a UDB w/ 340mb SCSI (SLOW 5mb) half inch internal hard
drive.  32 megs of true parity ram, Red hat 5.0 I get the following
error

NCR53-810-0: ERROR (0:48) (0-20-0) (8/33) * scripth (868:18000400).
NCR53-810-0: Script cmd = 888030000
NCR53-810-0: regdump : da 10 80 33 47 08 00 1f 01 08 00 28 80 00 08 00
NCR53-810-0: have to clear fifos

What the HELL is this and is there anyway to fix it ?  It seems to
occur when doing file writing, when i try to tar something for example
it will go into a continual unending loop displaying the above error
message.  I have refdisked, formated, and clean installed redhat and
the problem is still there :( Please help, if at all possible mail

2. Inattentive Linux Server

3. LINUX instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!Subject: LINUX , instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!

4. 5.0.5 DNS not looking outside

5. PLEASE HELP !!! PLEASE HELP !!!

6. quiz program

8. Keyboard mapping

9. NFS please help me please please please sniff

10. Set-up woes, please, please, please help :(

11. please please please help me!

12. Please Please Please HELP